Trail running and adventure racing

Options
Have been running road races for several years, ran my first marathon last year. Looking into getting into more trail runs and adventure races. Just curious who else out there has experience in these and has any races they recommend

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I did the Griffith Park 6k (they also offer a 12) two weeks back. It differed from my regular "training" trail in that it was just straight up hill and then straight back down again. I've bookmarked a couple of other races but I want to check out the terrain of the routes more carefully, maybe find some that have a more fun variation. I'd post the links to the ones I'm interested in but not sure where you are - I'm in Ventura County, CA.
  • granitepeak1981
    granitepeak1981 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    @MelanieCN77 I’m in Montana but if the race sounds cool enough I’d be willing to travel. I do some local trail runs here that are fun, just looking to branch out.
  • granitepeak1981
    Options
    https://bighorntrailrun.com/18-mile

This is one I’m looking at for 2020
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Dang that's a big one. I'm "suffering" from lack of focus just now and would need to buckle down to a plan if I wanted to work up to more than my road 5 and 10ks and that 6k trail I just did.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    In high school I ran cross country, which are all trail races. Wore spikes, between 1/2" and 1" depending on the terrain.

There are some trail races out here that take place on conservation land. I use my everyday running shoes now a days
  • ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I run a fun Trail Race every year outside of Omaha called The Dizzy Goat. 3, 6, or 12 hours running a course through a state park.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Regarding the shoes, I wear real luggy rubber soled ones, the ground in CA is generally really hard. Interesting difference I never really thought about. I don't think spikes would be appropriate for the hard clay and decomposd granite that's under a lot of the places.
  • granitepeak1981
    Options
    What brand of trail shoe do you go with @MelanieCN77 ? I have brooks cascadia
    Always curious what others have.

And yes, the BigHorn is a big challenge. I would say that if you are looking for a fun 1/2 marathon trail run, check out the West Yellowstone Vacation Race. It’s not too brutal but it’s a good intro into longer trail runs.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    I have a Saucony Peregrine 7 which I love. I need a second pair but I just splurged on some road Hokas. I'll see if I can get a few more short trail races under my belt and then maybe half a half :smiley:
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I wear Brook's Mach (spiked) for most of my trail races and orienteering meets. (work well on softer forest ground, but they're bad for areas with rocky ground).

ETA: small wide feet drastically limits my available shoe choices. (a wider variety of better orienteering/Fells running/trail running shoes likely available to OP)
  • xxxMADMAXxxx
    xxxMADMAXxxx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have only done a few 12Ks, so the funnest thing I have done yet was Tough Mudder.
    It is fine to do on your own, but even better if you have a group of buddies to work alongside.
    I would definitely recommend it if adding obstacle courses sound appealing.

I have also heard of Triathlons- definitely on my bucket list.
  • sperouty
    sperouty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did the Rugged Maniac last year in October. We both thought it was pretty easy. There was only one obstacle each that we couldn't complete.