Stuck on 160 for 2 weeks

Options
Back in December I had a baby and weighed 194 the day I gave birth. At the 6 week postpartum check up I was 166 lbs on 1400 calories a day. I’ve now at 9 weeks pp been stuck on 160 lbs for about 2 weeks now. I can only exercise for 30 mins 5 times a week but seeing no more progress. I feel like I may need to switch up my diet. Any suggestions?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? That can make losing weight a little different for new moms.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Back in December I had a baby and weighed 194 the day I gave birth. At the 6 week postpartum check up I was 166 lbs on 1400 calories a day. I’ve now at 9 weeks pp been stuck on 160 lbs for about 2 weeks now. I can only exercise for 30 mins 5 times a week but seeing no more progress. I feel like I may need to switch up my diet. Any suggestions?

For the first several months after giving birth, your body is doing a lot of healing, and your hormones are fluctuating, which means water weight swings on top of water weight swings. It really isn't realistic to expect to see a rapid loss on the scale every week, and you want to make sure you are not eating too much of a deficit that your body doesn't have the fuel it needs to heal. Also, if you are breastfeeding, that requires extra calories as well.

Calories determine weight loss, and stalls of a couple of weeks here and there are normal. If you are not breastfeeding, just keep logging and expect some stalls on the way. If you are breastfeeding, be careful losing weight so fast, under-eating can cause you to lose your supply. Congrats and try to be patient :smile:
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

For the first several months after giving birth, your body is doing a lot of healing, and your hormones are fluctuating, which means water weight swings on top of water weight swings. It really isn't realistic to expect to see a rapid loss on the scale every week, and you want to make sure you are not eating too much of a deficit that your body doesn't have the fuel it needs to heal. Also, if you are breastfeeding, that requires extra calories as well.

Calories determine weight loss, and stalls of a couple of weeks here and there are normal. If you are not breastfeeding, just keep logging and expect some stalls on the way. If you are breastfeeding, be careful losing weight so fast, under-eating can cause you to lose your supply. Congrats and try to be patient :smile:

THIS!!! You literally created a tiny human - your hormones were all over the place and will continue to be all over the place for awhile! If you're breastfeeding, please don't concern yourself with weight loss right now (you need the extra calories not only for your own nourishment, but also for the nourishment of your wee one). Not to mention, your sleeping pattern is no doubt out-of-whack right now, you've got a world of new/different stresses, etc. Don't get too hung up on losing baby weight super fast.

• restartmyh3art
    restartmyh3art Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Forgot to mention that I stopped breastfeeding at 6 weeks PP. I was about 160 pre baby and this is my second child. I’m 5’5 and 160 lbs. The baby weight is definitely gone but now I’m stuck.