How long would it take to lose 20 pounds

Options
How long would it take someone who is 5ft and is 125 pounds to lose 20 pounds?

Replies

• sarahEA88
    sarahEA88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to help you at the rate you choose from 0.5 lb per week to 2 lbs per week. Because you're already at a healthy weight, the 2 lbs per week would probably not doable and likely not sustainable. You should probably aim for the 0.5 lb to 1 lb per week and see how that goes. Also, weight loss isn't linear, so it may take you longer then planned.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    You're not going to like this answer.

According to https://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-and-weight-loss/bmi-calculator, you seem to be right around the borderline between healthy weight and overweight. That means that you don't have a lot of excess fat stores and the weight is going to have to drop off slowly, since you can't safely run an aggressive deficit.

Set MFP to lose 1/2lb per week.

And because the closer you are to a healthy BMI (and the deeper you head into the range), the slower the weight drops, it's probably going to take you a year.

(signed)

Someone who dropped 80lbs in a year and has dropped about 5lbs in the last 6 months as she closes in on her last 10lbs.

Yes this is pretty much on the money. 6 month to a year is probably pretty on the money, depending on the rate of loss. Anything faster than that and you are going to put yourself at risk for a lot of it being muscle loss.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and it took me six months to go from 149 to 129. So, yeah. What they said.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft [aged 70] and have 50lbs to lose altogether. So far I have lost 10lbs in 7 weeks [weighed in today] ....... 4lbs first week with water weight included and then 1lb a week. I am consuming 1200 calories a day.

I am obese though so when I get nearer my goal the weight loss will slow down...probably to 1/2lb a week or so....so I am probably looking at 1 year to lose my 50lbs.