Calorie question

I recently made homemade cream cheese. The recipe is just while milk, lemon and salt. 4cups of milk makes 8oz of cream cheese. I've been counting 1 ounce of cream cheese as the same nutritional value as 1 serving of whole milk (1/2 cup). Does that sound right?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i would build it as a recipe - but you aren't wrong by your logic i don't think
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 859 Member
    How do you do this :o please
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    If you're just worried about a rough count on the calories, that seems reasonable. Or you could use an entry for a commercial cream cheese. I assume you're discarding (or reserving) some whey (or buttermilk?), so you will be overcounting calories and protein by a bit. If you use the liquid in some other dish, it will all come out in the wash. (I've never made cream cheese, but clearly there is liquid in the milk that isn't ending up in the cream cheese, and it's not just water, I'm pretty sure.)
  • machel131
    machel131 Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2019
    If you're just worried about a rough count on the calories, that seems reasonable. Or you could use an entry for a commercial cream cheese. I assume you're discarding (or reserving) some whey (or buttermilk?), so you will be overcounting calories and protein by a bit. If you use the liquid in some other dish, it will all come out in the wash. (I've never made cream cheese, but clearly there is liquid in the milk that isn't ending up in the cream cheese, and it's not just water, I'm pretty sure.)

Yes I threw out the whey. I thought to count the whole amount since the curd is all the milk fat. My husband suggested using the commercial cream cheese count too.
  • machel131
    machel131 Posts: 17 Member
    angelsja wrote: »
    How do you do this :o please

I used this recipe because it is all natural and very easy. I did have to add a lot of salt at the end though. I also made a batch with onion powder, garlic powder and chopped scallions that came out really good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tFefLWsQqAA