Fluctuations due to having a uterus

I’ve long understood that women are often hungrier around the start of their cycle. But there were days when I would look at the calendar and be confused because I was inexplicably ravenous and it was no where near the start of my cycle. From reading here, I’ve come to realize that it is due to ovulation. That was a very helpful revelation, but now I have a few questions about it.

1. I know there is a scale fluctuation at the start of my cycle and I don’t worry about it because I know it will sort itself out in a few days. Is there also one around ovulation?

2. Since the ravenous-ness comes from hormones instead of an issue with nutrition or calories, is there anything that helps with that? Any particular strategies/foods/macros/etc?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    When I used to weigh daily, I would get a short bump of water weight and cravings nags during ovulation, and I closely tracked my cycle because I have had issues with hormone regulation in the past. I do get cravings, though not as significant as around the start of my cycle. If needed, I will eat at maintenance, but usually a little extra exercise (I don't exercise much, so I'm talking a 30 minute walk) has helped.
  • hypocacculus
    hypocacculus Posts: 68 Member
    If those ravenous days are only one or two days a month, instead of fighting it, why not plan for it and treat them as your regular diet holiday (assuming you are on a diet...?) and allow yourself a little more to eat?

• Cora0477
    Cora0477 Posts: 326 Member
    The day before my cycle I may just be extra snacky -which I can plan for, but the day I ovulate, no amount of food feels satisfying. I can gorge myself to the point of my stomach hurting and still feel intensely unsatisfied. I can definitely plan extra calories for those days, but my question is really if there is anything that helps with the feeling of being ravenous and unsatisfied due to hormones.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    edited February 2019
    Cora0477 wrote: »
    The day before my cycle I may just be extra snacky -which I can plan for, but the day I ovulate, no amount of food feels satisfying. I can gorge myself to the point of my stomach hurting and still feel intensely unsatisfied. I can definitely plan extra calories for those days, but my question is really if there is anything that helps with the feeling of being ravenous and unsatisfied due to hormones.

Seratonin (a hormone that elevates mood) naturally drops during ovulation, so your body seeks things that are comforting - similar to when you are mildly ill. Sugars boost seratonin levels.

You can try increasing your protein intake (especially red meat) to reduce the chance of anemia during your cycle, but largely just being aware of the reason for the cravings and choosing another coping strategy is the best thing you can do
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    I get the ravenous feeling, so hungry it hurts and it's awful. I do allow myself to eat more but I try not to indulge in treats, bc those do not really satisy hunger so my caloric intake goes way up.

Last time I tried to just have small snacks. Normal food for me, snack size, and it would satisfy for a couple hours than I would need another.

ie cheese and crackers, bread and peanut butter, banana and peanut butter, more protein- so leftover from dinner a bit of chicken or whatever.

So the usual things are filling for me- protein and healthy fats, just more of them. It worked pretty well. My goal is around 1500 cals, when I tried this at that time it went to 1900 or 2000. If I eat junk food of any kind it would easily jump to 2500, bc I would have the junk food, still starve, and end up with the healthier snack I should have had all along.

• whitej1234
    whitej1234 Posts: 263 Member
    Strategies for me:
    1. Drinking a lot of water. And this needs to be done way before the craving begins because for me when I'm already in a craving state no water will help.
    2. Salty foods (not high in calories- like pickles). Not the best for your heart but these are my indulging day
    3. Giving in and letting this day to be a falling day, just make sure you start over the next, nothing too bad will happen because of couple of days a month. I also find myself quit full the next day because of all the junk I had and this helps to go back on track.