Hi! I've got no option but to lose weight or risk my health now. Help appreciated.

Options
Hi everyone. My name is Sammie and I am 26 years old. I started this journey once again but this time there is no quitting. I don't have that choice anymore. Recently I found out that at my heaviest of 269lbs, I have a heart murmur, a leaking heart valve and blood regurgitation. My doctor said I have to get the weight off or I'm likely to have a heart attack before I reach 30 years old. I have two little ones who follow my example. They are not overweight yet luckily. But they do not need to see this life and think it's okay. They don't need to follow my footsteps into obesity. Any tips would be appreciated. Wanting to lose weight isn't even on the board anymore. I HAVE to lose the weight. I NEED to lose the weight. I can't give up again. My doctor has cleared me for all types of exercise. He said I can reverse the regurgitation and lessen the leak if I can lose 100 lbs. Thank you.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was about where yours is - 272 - and it took me about eleven months to get to a healthy BMI. You can do this! Enter your stats into MyFitnessPal, set your goals, and stay within your calorie limit. Log everything - weigh everything until you learn what a portion size looks like. Get some exercise every day - it doesn't have to be much at first, just ten or fifteen minutes, anything to get moving. Earning a few extra exercise calories to eat back can make eating at a deficit much easier. Then add more as you become more fit. It's amazing what you can do if you have to - I had a diabetes diagnosis myself and needed to get out from under the excess weight.

Everyone is different as far as the way that they find most satisfying and how they like to eat. Some things that helped me personally were cutting out soda and other sweets (needed to do that as a diabetic, but it also was an easy way to cut calories), meal prepping, and finding a couple of lower calorie and healthy delivery options for when I just couldn't be bothered. I also make room for small treats which I enjoy, such as a piece of dark chocolate.

Wishing you a long and healthy life!
  • machel131
    machel131 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi. I also have blood regurgitation and have a lot to lose. Feel free to friend me.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It has been said by the above posters--you can do it. Just get your daily calorie goal and stay within it. Get a digital food scale and weigh and measure everything you eat and drink. Move more. Take photos of yourself now, or take your measurements weekly and keep a journal. It will give you a boost when you hit a stall, so you'll keep going. Read the success stories on the forums. People overcome all odds and manage to lose and this will keep you mentally positive. Good luck.
  • Murpster2008
    Murpster2008 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit a few days ago. I find that the stats are very insightful and it is keeping me motivated so far. I did 9,500 steps yesterday, and no one was chasing me! They are between $100-200 depending on which one you get, but it might help you stay motivated to move! It can also link to MFP. Good luck!
  • lonebeef17
    lonebeef17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Sammie, your story really resonates with me. Almost 3 years ago, at the age of 42, AFTER losing 25 lbs, I had a heart attack. Had 3 blockages,60%,70%,90%. Stent put in 90% one. Recovered, lost another 15 lbs, then wanted to gain weight back, preferably as muscle lol. So I started strength training, and love it. My kids were about 10 and 12 at the time, and they continue to motivate me! I want to be able to spend as much quality time with them as I can. I have been using MFP every day for over 2 years now, and find it really helpful to see where my calories and macro split go. I also use a Fitbit sometimes. Some pointers which have been stated already that are always useful:
    Yes, it must be a sustainable "lifestyle change" NOT a "diet". Even small changes add up, and it should allow at least a bit of room for foods that are calorie dense aka yummy haha. The fitbit is a good motivator too, trying to get 10,000 steps a day.
    Whatever your schedule, if you can fit in any sort of exercise, that is a win! doesn't have to be super intense, if you can only start with low intensity cardio, that's better than nothing! if you can do some weights, even better.
    Small changes like going from a double double coffee, to single single, to black is a win too. Basically just try to move more, lift more, and don't overthink the eating! Try for mostly veggies, some complex carbs like sweet potatoes, and protein. Even if you just cut back on carbs some, keep your protein up, maybe try a split of 40% Carbs, 25% Fat, 35% Protein. Anyways just my thoughts. Good luck, and know that we are pulling for you!
  • eschmand1
    eschmand1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck...you can do it! Your story also resonates with me. About 3 years ago I had double hip replacement surgery. The previous year had basically been hell as I could barely walk and the pain from standing all day on my feet at work was horrible. I stopped walking for exerise because, basically, I no longer could. The weight started piling up. I had my surgery and then both knees started to give out. They will be the next thing that I need to have replaced. I sank into a depression and when I am depressed I eat. My weight ballooned from my normal 250ish to almost 340. Recently, I have had more than a few friends and co-workers suffer major health scares and my brother-in-law passed away. All of this scared me and I knew that at the rate I was going I was heading towards an early grave. I kept trying to wrap my head around what I needed to do but couldn't get there until about three weeks ago when I finally joined this site. I have adjusted my eating habits, am cooking almost everyday, have given up fast food and sodas entirely and am working on portion control. I DO keep M&M's in the house so that when that craving hits I can have about a dozen. I let them melt completely one at a time and that assuages those cravings. This week I am going to start walking as my knees allow it. I have already lost 15lbs and I feel so much better already. Long story short...if this 53 year old man can do it so can you. Have faith in yourself and in your higher power if you believe in one and you will succeed.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Welcome!

I also needed to lose the weight due to a health condition. Losing the excess weight corrected it and I've now been maintaining the better health for several years. You've come to a good place-lots of support here and the forums are full of people who've been very successful with their weight/health/fitness goals, long term.

Starting out focus on your calorie intake. Exercise is great for health, but has a pretty minimal impact on weight loss. Maybe start with walking-very good for heart health.

Enter your stats into MFP and then follow the calorie recommendation it gives you. With your current weight you should be able to lose 2lbs a week starting out, and then after you lose a few pounds you can adjust this down to 1lb a week.

A food scale is probably the most important thing you can use in this process-you can pick one up for under $20. Start using it to correctly measure out your portion sizes.

A weight trending app is also a good tool-Happy Scale for apple or Libra for Android.