Premium app - Yay or Nay?

Options
Vinehausen
Vinehausen Posts: 3,233 Member
I've just downloaded the MFP app on to my phone and I'm slowly figuring out the features etc. But wondering if the upgrade to premium is the way to go. What's the pros, cons, advantages, disadvantages?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Read the features it offers very carefully and decide if they will suit you. Premium has limited, specific features - it's not an overall upgrade.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Read what they offer and see if you need it.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I upgraded to be able to turn off exercise calories and I like the lack of ads. is it worth it I don't know I was annoyed with all tje ads but I haven't seen what thay is like in a year so can't compare
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Read the features.

You really don't need to upgrade. Most MFP's helpful features are free.

I have premium so I can set macros by grams, turn off adding exercise calories*, and no ads.

*I use TDEE, not MFPs numbers and don't want to log exercise with 1 cal burn as that will mess up my activity trackers TDEE estimate.
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I got the premium app this month solely because I went out to dinner one day and made some substitutions in my meal and needed to quick add some of the macros for it to be accurate, as I'm focused on high protein. So it's good for that, if you're often quick adding things and focused on macros. I like that it shows the macros and percentages per meal as well, but I honestly haven't yet found the advantage of upgrading, nor for me at least. So I'll have it for the month then go back to the regular one
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If I were to upgrade, it would be for two reasons. No ads, though mainly because I think those are what are driving MFPs data usage. And different calorie goals by day. But the cost of a yearly seems a little high.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I've never really seen the point
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I bought it just to avoid adverts, cos I have very short tolerance for adverts. I didn't want anything to stop me getting back on this and sticking with it. In that sense you could say it is working, have logged in everyday since then!

I am not sure that I am getting any "features" benefits cos I cant remember what it was like when I was usig the free app in the past. I maybe will get more interested in them. I can't recall how much it cost, but it didn't seem too much to me at the time.
  • MissDenise1952
    MissDenise1952 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the Premium, really have been blessed by the use of MFP, even though I have come and gone a few times since 2009, it wasn't because I didn't like MFP. I just chose to be a slug in private, lol. But I am not sure there are enough of what I am interested in, in the Premium package. I'm like the fellow that mentioned trying it for a month, and then deciding;) I don't see a lot of ads, as a regular member, so I really didn't think of that when I went premium. I do see some stuff on my phone I don't care to see. Maybe I'm not synced. I use my PC, android, and tablet. So I'll see how it goes today. I just joined day before yesterday, I mean went premium.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I bought it right away to get an ad-free environment.
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    buy a samsung gear watch and get a year free. FYI. not why i bought mine but i got it free for a year.
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that it's not necessary, but I wanted to get more specific in my goals so I paid for it this month and I actually really like setting a goal for each meal and being able to change my daily goals (like adding a couple hundred calories to Saturday or Sunday). Little things but they are helpful for me!
  • Painterdee
    Painterdee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I bought the premium upgrade a few months ago after having the free version for several years (and loved it). But I started doing some carb cycling and needed to set my cals and macros differently on diff days. I'm not disappointed at all. the more I have been using it with the premium features the more I like it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!