For Those Cooks Out There...

Options
So what do you record when you are preparing meals and just tasting to get the seasoning just right? Sometimes I am cooking for guests with no plan to eat what I am cooking but I taste it throughout the prep process. Just curious.

Replies

• krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I record "a taste of this, a taste of that" in ounces. A guesstimate is fine - as long as something gets logged. That being said, if it's minuscule, I might not bother.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    My completely unscientific rule of thumb is that I don't log the first hour of cooking I do per day and my minuscule tastes can come out of that :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    jbarr9011 wrote: »
    So what do you record when you are preparing meals and just tasting to get the seasoning just right? Sometimes I am cooking for guests with no plan to eat what I am cooking but I taste it throughout the prep process. Just curious.

If it comes out of a jar or bottle or something, weight it at the start, note quantity, and weigh it when you decide you've added enough to the dish, and subtract to get quantity used. Actually, this will work with chunks of stuff, or whatever, too.

I have to admit, many of my seasoning ingredients are so low calorie that I'd just do a wild guess and call it good. But the above will work well for oils, nuts, and other calorie-dense things.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Taste what and how much? Sauce...no, i dont record..
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My tastes are not too big and I don't record them.

My reasoning is that if I find myself not losing weight, I'm going to cut back on my recorded serving sizes, not on tasting a quarter teaspoon of a couple foods a day to see if they taste okay. So recording those tastes doesn't matter to me. It's the bigger stuff that matters more.
  • jbarr9011
    jbarr9011 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    lx1x generally speaking it is sauces and usually have added butter or cream. I'm not so worried about tomato or spaghetti sauces as much.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    jbarr9011 wrote: »
    lx1x generally speaking it is sauces and usually have added butter or cream. I'm not so worried about tomato or spaghetti sauces as much.

I don't.. depend on quantity.. but then again.. I burn average of 3k calories a day.. have plenty to spare ;)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I don't taste too much or often and when I do, I don't record anything.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    That's what teenage daughters are for. She's my taste tester. :)
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    My tastes are so small that I don't record it. If I have a larger taste, I will guesstimate and log or add a few extra grams to serving when I eat the dish. For "tasting" cookie dough, I usually double (or triple) the weight of the first cookie I eat.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    If it's minuscule, I ignore. If it's a high-fat sauce, I log 50 calories from quick tools.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    My tastes are so small that I don't record it. If I have a larger taste, I will guesstimate and log or add a few extra grams to serving when I eat the dish. For "tasting" cookie dough, I usually double (or triple) the weight of the first cookie I eat.

Ah, yes, cookie dough. I do log the percentage of a cookie batter's worth that I eat.