I just want to be part of a community to stay motivated :)

Options
Hi! I'm Mkla. My goals are pretty simple; I want to be a size 20 (I am a womens 24 right now aka 3x) and I want to build my stamina and maybe build some muscle.

I don't really have weight loss goal, but I am not sure how much I will need to lose in order to drop inches so I guess my initial goal to kinda 'see' how much is 50 lbs? I want to do it slowly and do not want to overhaul my life doing so. I have mixed feelings about and am super skeptical about fad diets, intentional weight loss, and diet culture in general. Ive been trying out intuitive eating, since this is what my dietitian recc'd , and so far, I'm under calories the app has allowed me with :)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing everyones goals and progress in this community :) I would love to hear your favorite recipes and perhaps how you started getting into fitness? I go to the gym sometimes but don't really have a routine, so how did you start?

Replies

• westernnurse777
    westernnurse777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Mkla! I'm Tony (64, 5'8", 165 lbs.). Your post was very candid and I can see that you're thoughtful in your approach to lose weight. You did not mention if you're single, have a family, busy job, etc.; all of which can affect your dieting effectiveness. I'm a RN and should never have let my weight creep up to 180 lbs. over the years, but being single and having a stressful, busy job took its toll. I have lost weight by cutting out sugar (candy in particular) and breads (God, I love bread). Also, I just started to do more short distance walking. The iPhone app I have tracks my steps--you'd be surprised how steps can add up quickly to miles! Anyway, I enjoyed your post and hope that you're doing well.
  • Xlivnfree1982
    Xlivnfree1982 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Focus on water intake, healthy lifestyle (Foods), and walking or a Excercise you will enjoy. Go from there. I find intense working out drops inches faster for me then non intense. And building muscle helps you burn more calories. So it really depends on the person on hand and they body type. But basic water and food should help you get started in the right direction.
  • Ourstoryourplanet
    Options
    Hello! :)

Where you started and where you want to be are exactly where I began and am now aspiring to go even further. So there's hope in your goals and they are very reasonable and doable!

I started this journey without myfitnesspal, but after including it in my daily life, my success has been more enjoyable and manageable. My starting size/weight was 309lbs and I was a size 24 or 3x. I am now down to 268lbs and am fitting into size 22 or 2x clothing. My original goal was to be a size 20, and 220lbs and stop there, but the success so far and the way I feel has motivated me to set my goal to 200lbs and achieve a size 18 or a 1x. It sounds silly but that's a pretty big goal for me!

Point is, you can do it! It's not always easy and sometimes we mess it up, but it's doable and you can achieve your goals! But just beware that everyone's body and diet preferences are different, and sometimes people can be a little pushy with their styles. So just be mindful of the overload of opinions and advice that tends to come in the world of social media and weight loss platforms.

For me personally, what has worked is cutting out flours and sugars to almost none, and limiting my calories to 1900-2000/day. That doesn't sound like too much of a limit calorie-wise, but compared to the truckloads of garbage I was eating before it has helped to to lose a total of over 40lbs. (Some pre MFP.)

And as for exercise, I am partially disabled with spinal issues, so my cardio is limited. However, when I can I like to walk 1-2 miles either on the treadmill or outside (weather dependant) or do as much time on the elliptical as I can tolerate. TBH the elliptical is where the weight fell off for me, when I used it 2-3xs a week at 30-45 minutes each time.

Please feel free to add me as a friend on here, and I wish you all the best success in your weight loss journey! You can do this!

-Liz
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I do a mixture of exercise. Weather depending, I like going for walks best of all. YouTube aerobics, swimming and dancing are other things I do as well