Keto Diet... discuss!

Options
Is it good? Is it bad? Can it be maintained for long periods of time?
There are supporters and nay-sayers everywhere when it concerns with the Keto diet.
There are reports that if done incorrectly it can lead to a world of health problems. However, there is proof that it’s beneficial for children with autism and persons with Parkinson’s.
Could this just be another fad?
I’d like your thoughts!
(Positive messages only, no attacking others point of views or opinions)

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    This may be better suited in the Debate section.

But, since I'm not an autistic child or person with Parkinsons I'm not sure what the benefit of doing keto would be for me.

eta: edit
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't find fats filling and feel much more energetic and happy when I eat @ 50% carbs, so it would be "not good" for me. For those who find fats filling, or who find some carbs rev up their appetite, it could be a great choice.

I personally don't see proof there is any reason to go as low carb as keto, in other words I think for most people just LCHF would do the trick, but my opinion is just that :smile:

I think for long term health it remains to be seen. Most studies on long term keto diets don't go back very far. It seems to me there is some disagreement in the research community right now on the "best" level of dietary fat in general and saturated fat in particular. But honestly, if a keto WOE is what gets an obese person at the right calorie level so they can get to and maintain a healthy weight, I'd bet that's an improvement one way or the other.

And as @zeejane03 said, just a heads up - this is a controversial topic here and might end up being moved to the Debate forum if it gets controversial. If you check out the Debate section, you'll find several threads about low carb and/or keto.

:drinker:
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I agree that this would be better suited in the debate section, however there are already multiple threads on this same topic over there.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
  • searchka
    searchka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have epilepsy and one of the neurologist I seen said this would be a good diet for epilepsy. I dont think i would ever go all out strict, but these types of foods seem to make my body feel well and i have good results.