Fitness trackers / smart watch that actually work?

Options
dave_in_ni
dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
edited February 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
OK I know these things aren't gonna be 100% reliable but I find them great for motivating me.

I had a Charge 2, It was OK but I found the GPS to be hit and miss, I then upgraded to a Versa, GPS wouldn't work at all, just constantly connecting, seems to be an ongoing issue with the Versa as there is a large thread about it on the fitbit forums. Then we have notification issues and all the rest I looked at the Charge 3, it seems to be plagued with problems also, seems fitbit has gone to *kitten*.

I bought an Huawei watch GT, Its another disaster, undercounts everything, step count from app and watch totally different, doesn't link with any other services.

As I say I know these things arent gonna be 100% accurate but I just want one that actually works correctly. Am I asking to much? I don't really want to but I think I might have to go Apple as I know they do things right.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to track?
  • EvgenyP
    EvgenyP Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is the best one out there and is most accurate and advanced. I'm using fitbit surge for over 2 years already. Heart rate detection is very nice. I'm assuming newer ones are even better.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    OK I know these things aren't gonna be 100% reliable but I find them great for motivating me.

I had a Charge 2, It was OK but I found the GPS to be hit and miss, I then upgraded to a Versa, GPS wouldn't work at all, just constantly connecting, seems to be an ongoing issue with the Versa as there is a large thread about it on the fitbit forums. Then we have notification issues and all the rest I looked at the Charge 3, it seems to be plagued with problems also, seems fitbit has gone to *kitten*.

I bought an Huawei watch GT, Its another disaster, undercounts everything, step count from app and watch totally different, doesn't link with any other services.

As I say I know these things arent gonna be 100% accurate but I just want one that actually works correctly. Am I asking to much? I don't really want to but I think I might have to go Apple as I know they do things right.

Fitbit has GPS?? How/where do I find this I've had mine a year and never knew
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »

Connected GPS, it uses the phone's GPS, go into run cycle or walk it connects to the phone to map your route.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

My walks runs, active mins, workouts, calories burned, sleep.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »

Connected GPS, it uses the phone's GPS, go into run cycle or walk it connects to the phone to map your route.

Yeah...no still no idea how to do it -_- ah well
  • dawnymo1
    dawnymo1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Blaze HR, I have tried many and find this to be the best. The screen is a decent size too.. You can sync it with MFP and not worry about it
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options

Some of that I track with Strava.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The newest models from Fitbit seem to be plagued with issues. Not sure if they are going to sort them out or not. They have been very slow to fix issues with the Ionic (some issues took them a year to fix and others still haven’t been addressed).

I have tried a bunch of different devices over the years.

You might want to consider:
    Garmin
    Samsung Gear*
    Apple Watch
    Styr**

*I had a Samsung Gear S2 at one point. The only issue I had with it was that it severely underestimated calories burned (my weekly reports always said I was in a surplus despite losing 1lb per week).

** I got one of these with my Bulu Box. It’s a very basic tracker, but also affordable. It doesn’t track sleep or HR, but it’s under $50.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    EvgenyP wrote: »
    Fitbit is the best one out there and is most accurate and advanced. I'm using fitbit surge for over 2 years already. Heart rate detection is very nice. I'm assuming newer ones are even better.

The newer ones have a lot of issues. My Ionic had an issue with reporting distance travelled for 11 months (firmware update last month fixed it). The smart watch apps don’t like to work and require I reset it constantly. It recently stopped syncing and it took 3 factory resets to get it to work again. It even got stuck during one of the factory resets. I switched from the Blaze which I had happily used for 2 years (before that I had the Surge) and it has been a huge disappointment.
  • mdwarchichoke
    mdwarchichoke Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have had really good luck with my Garmin Fenix. More of a fitness tracker than a smartwatch in my opinion, but after a smart watch I really do not want to be that connected all the time to the world! Pretty good at tracking bike rides (even off trail), long walks, steps and stairs thru out the day etc. Just like most it comes preset with activities and then you can load and track custom work outs, lap splits, heart zones. Learning to use some of it, but most a lot of it is too much if you are jut casual on it all. Great battery life too vs my Samsung Gear 2 I had. Goes all week easily. Interesting info, but I am not training for the Olympics just old age in the next 25 or 30 years. Ha
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Just upgraded to a Garmin from my Fitbit Ionic. Ionic was constantly losing GPS during my runs. Haven't had a single issue with my Garmin and it does everything my Ionic does except store music (I don't use that feature anyway).
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Have Fitbit charge 3.. it works for my need.. sleep, steps and hr
  • ram1960
    ram1960 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use the Samsung Gear Sport, works great, I kept my Fitbit Blaze, I keep it in my watch pocket. I find the numbers vary greatly. Samsung tracks any active minutes whereas Fitbit only measures when your active after 10 mins or more. Fitbit will count more steps and floors......way more floors(3 to 1). Samsung is more accurate and I rely on its information more than Fitbit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options

I like my Garmin Vivoactive 3. It theoretically tracks all these things**. The GPS tracking seems pretty accurate outdoors, based on comparing distances to a map, and to previous devices estimates on my river. I needn't have my phone with me in order for it to track. (This model doesn't do turn by turn routing; I don't much get lost on my river. ;) ).

Heart rate measurements are consistent with Polar chest-belt readings I used previously, and with occasional spot-checks at doctor's offices. (I still use a chest belt for rowing, because wrist-based HR monitoring works poorly in that context. It connects to the watch via Ant+.) Active minutes seem reasonably accurate (it calculates active goal minutes as (1 x moderate minutes) + (2 x vigorous minutes), BTW.)

** None of these are perfect for calorie estimating; they don't have a way to measure burn, they can only estimate it. They seem to be close in practice for a lot of people, but further off for some (I'm one) . . . but that's the nature of statistical estimates.

From what I've read, they're all pretty bad at sleep tracking. I've found mine to be . . . imaginative, when it comes to sleep tracking. It regularly thinks I'm asleep when I'm lying in bed reading, for example.

Have you looked at https://www.dcrainmaker.com/ ?
  • asochable
    asochable Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 had some great advice. I am very much Team Garmin. I have a Forerunner 235 that I happen to wear all the time because I love the data it tracks, but it is specifically a running watch. My husband has the Vivoactive and it tracks a lot more activities than mine (like flights of stairs, various activity modes, etc) and is very happy with it as well.

I used the DC Rainmaker reviews when I bought my 235 and it was super helpful!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    EvgenyP wrote: »

From all of the reviews of read, that is far from the truth. See NorthCascades' post, or for a number of unbiased reviews (as unbiased as any of us can be) read DCRainmaker or watch Des Fit's reviews.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Options
    I just ordered the Fitbit Charge 3 Friday. I've been looking at that or the Versa for the last month. I wish I had seen a thread like this before my purchase. I never even thought of Garmin. Anyway, I went with the Charge 3 because I couldn't justify the extra $ for music storage and it came recommended from a few people I know IRL. I want to use it mainly to get information on my heart rate, running and calorie burn information.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I bought a Garmin Fenix 5X and I have been completely satisfied with the way it performs.