Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

A couple of questions for you all...

hixa30
hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
edited January 2019 in Debate Club
#1 If you travel to Singapore you'll see a) lots of slim people b) lots of places to eat c) an affluent economy.

Why is this different from my country (New Zealand) where you have b & c but not a?

#2 Back in 1980 there weren't as many obese people as there are now, but you could overeat to the point of being sick without too much effort, or cost. What has caused the change? (PS food or farming subsidies haven't existed in New Zealand for approximately 30 years).

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    (1) You and Singapore -- different culture, possibly other differences I'm not aware of.

(2) You and 1980 you (I recall 1980, I was 10, although in the US) -- less and less tasty non home cooked options, less assumption that people would eat between meals (other than maybe a regular after-school snack), no huge cal coffees that people would eat, people drank smaller sizes of soda and thought of it as a treat rather than something they drank all day, fast food or ordering in was a special occasion thing and what you could order in was limited to so-so pizza and Chinese food, people still thought they should mostly cook and assumed they should eat some veg. Even more important, people had to be more active on a daily basis. Pretty much no kids were overweight when I was a kid in '80 -- we all walked to school, ran around a lot, ate processed foods but not awful diets overall or crazy amounts of soda, didn't really eat more than 4 times a day (3 meals plus snack), didn't have huge calories even if we had cereal for breakfast and hot lunch (I was picky in a weird way so had eggs for breakfast and brought soup for lunch).

Commutes have not changed much on average in the US, can't speak for other places (and in the US median is less than 30 min -- mine is more and I work way more than 8 hours a day and yet cook).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    hixa30 wrote: »
    #1 If you travel to Singapore you'll see a) lots of slim people b) lots of places to eat c) an affluent economy.

Why is this different from my country (New Zealand) where you have b & c but not a?

#2 Back in 1980 there weren't as many obese people as there are now, but you could overeat to the point of being sick without too much effort, or cost. What has caused the change? (PS food or farming subsidies haven't existed in New Zealand for approximately 30 years).
    Both globally and in Singapore, the prevalence of obesity and overweight in adults has been increasing steadily over the years. Singapore’s obesity prevalence increased 0.7 percentage point a year since 2004 to reach nearly 11% in 2010, only one percentage lower than the global average obesity prevalence of 12%.
    from https://www.hpb.gov.sg/article/1.7-million-singaporeans-already-at-risk-of-obesity-related-diseases
    Singapore has the second-highest overweight prevalence in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) – at 32.8 per cent, according to 2014 age-standardised adjusted estimates by the World Health Organization (WHO). According to a recently released report by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), among the ASEAN 6, Singapore was tied with the Philippines for the third-highest rate of increase in number of obese people between 2010 and 2014, at 24 per cent
    . From
    https://foodindustry.asia/the-state-of-obesity-in-singapore

1. Sounds like you visually perceive the population of Singapore to be slim when they have also been increasing in obesity.

2. What I remember in the US in 1980: No computers in the home. Barely any video games. Walking or riding bikes to school was more common than being driven by parents or bussed away to school. Less organized activities for kids. We had physical education and recess at school. Spending more time at home and outside for adults and kids. I don't remember people having riding lawn mowers. People were riding bikes, skateboarding or dancing. Playing frisbee was popular. My family rarely ate out. Portions were smaller at restaurants. My grandparent and parents were overweight but kids I knew were not. I think most of my classmates had a sahp instead of both parents working full time. I don't think we snacked as much between meals or had as many drink options. My family's common snacks were things like dry cereal or popcorn. I was 6 years old at the time. There are probably lots of little differences contributing to weight increase now vs. the 1980's.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Schools and the internet need to stop promoting reading.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    My husband and I had a similar discussion the other night I'm ten years older than him and the difference between common food items and activities during our childhoods were vastly different. For example soda was extremely rare in my house and was saved for a special occasion, usually my or my brother's birthday, my husband says they had tons of soda and was the main drink in the house. I was sent outside most days that the weather permitted, we had an atari, but my dad claimed the tv and we weren't supposed to touch his cool toy. My husband sat inside playing his sega. Dinner was cooked by my mom from scratch, and eating out for the whole family was rare, maybe only once a year. For my husband it was a rare week that didn't include at least three eat outs, tons of processed food or tv dinners. If you consider that these trends probably extend to most of society it's no wonder there is a rise in obesity rates.