exercising with sciatica

Options
I've been dealing with what I believe is some sciatic nerve pain the last week. I'm going to a chiro on Monday to get check out and have used this whole week as a rest period but would like to start upping my activity again. I'm assuming my usual weight lifting schedule is probably not a good idea so I'm looking for alternatives. My gym doesn't have a stationary bike or pool and I don't live in a climate that is suitable for much outdoor activity this time of the year.

I know a lot of what I can do is likely going to depend on my visit on Monday but I'd just like a few other suggestions as well.

TIA

Replies

• Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I had 4 years of chronic sciatica, due to a bulging disk at L4/5. The only exercise that didn’t make it worse was gentle walking and generally standing as much as possible.

Physio therapy resulted in a split disk that put me on my back for 4 months and required 2 operations to fix

Be very careful. Generally, bouts of sciatica will get better in 3-12 weeks, unless there’s an ongoing disk issue.
  • fandslock22
    fandslock22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this post on Sciatica pain. The information was helpful and scary😆I Am having the same ussues... Doc and physio agree it is L4 and L5 compression. 4 weeks ago I picked up my dog and boom...Terrible pain in my butt and down my leg. You all know what I am talking about. Now I am off work. I thought I would be in less pain by now... kind of depressing. I am focusing on getting well. I decided not to drug my self with sugar...which I have done in the past when i was in pain. Down 9 lbs since my injury. 🙂
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You should probably see an orthopedic.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    For me personally my sciatica gets worse with exercise BUT if I continue with it it gets better I just have to get through the initial pain first it won't be the same for everyone just putting it out there
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I went to a chiro for mild sciatica. He told me it was Piriformis syndrome and encouraged me to keep working out. Many hundreds of dollars, several months, and a load of bro science later, it was 10X worse and I finally had an MRI. Bulging disc at L4/L5 that took multiple rounds of injections to heal at that point.
    Proceed very, very carefully. I was physically miserable, in pain 24hours a day, for 2 years of my life because I didn’t get the appropriate treatment in the beginning.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    This is my usual advice for anyone with back related pain.

Go see your doctor, get a proper diagnosis for your pain, then you will be in a better place to know what exercise will help and what could hinder your recovery.
  • fandslock22
    fandslock22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. YUP I have bulging discs at L4 and L5. My physio therapist advice is if something hurts don't push it. Trying to keep active but only can walk or stand for 5 minutes. Been like this for 1 month. So motivated to lose weight right now because of the pain.