Adjusting 1/2 marathon training schedule after a couple of sick days

Options
emilysusana
emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
edited February 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
So... I was on week two of a 12 week training program. I came down with some kind of virus including fever for a couple of days and missed two of my three consecutive shorter running days. I ran two consecutive days once I felt better, one being a scheduled rest day.

Here’s what my week should have been, followed by what it actually has been so far:

M T W R F Sa. Sun
Rest / 3mi/ 3 mi / 3 mi / rest / 5 mi / Xtr.

Rest/ sick/ sick / 3 mi / 3 mi/ ? / ?

Any recommendations for how I finish out the week? Do my 5 miles tomorrow and Sunday crosstraining as scheduled? Take a rest tomorrow and then do my long run Sunday? Run both days so I don’t miss any miles?

I ran for about 6 weeks before starting this training program, if that helps. Also, I’m not still sick, the bug came and went pretty quickly.

Thanks!

Replies

• emilysusana
    Options
    Thanks!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Just curious which plan you are using. That seems pretty aggressive for someone who's only been running for 6 weeks.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Just curious which plan you are using. That seems pretty aggressive for someone who's only been running for 6 weeks.

Looks like week 2 of Hal Higdon novice 2...
  • dewd2
    Options
    Yep. And Novice 2 is for someone who's already ran that distance. Novice 1 may be a better choice.
    The Novice 1 program is designed for beginning runners who want to prepare for their first 13.1-mile race. If you have run several half or full marathons before, you might want to take a look at the Novice 2 half marathon program, which is designed for more experienced runner. First-timer? This is the program for you.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    skip the cross training and do the long run. Chances are your gonna miss another day or 2 during the duration of this plan because most of us lack the perfectly scheduled life to make it happen.
  • emilysusana
    Options
    Yep. And Novice 2 is for someone who's already ran that distance. Novice 1 may be a better choice.
    The Novice 1 program is designed for beginning runners who want to prepare for their first 13.1-mile race. If you have run several half or full marathons before, you might want to take a look at the Novice 2 half marathon program, which is designed for more experienced runner. First-timer? This is the program for you.

Hi! Thanks. I’m not a beginner runner... ive run off and on for many years, though not usually more than 15 miles a week and not with great consistency. I’ve not completed a half, but I’ve trained for one once before (had the flu on race day) and have trained up to 10 miles several times. I recently had a lapse in my exercise for about 6 months so when I say I’ve been running for 6 weeks, it’s not 6 weeks EVER but 6 weeks recently.

• dewd2
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi! Thanks. I’m not a beginner runner... ive run off and on for many years, though not usually more than 15 miles a week and not with great consistency. I’ve not completed a half, but I’ve trained for one once before (had the flu on race day) and have trained up to 10 miles several times. I recently had a lapse in my exercise for about 6 months so when I say I’ve been running for 6 weeks, it’s not 6 weeks EVER but 6 weeks recently.

Still, be careful. The thing about overuse injuries is you don't realize they are happening until it is too late.

How did it go today?
  • emilysusana
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It went fine today. I do think I will heed your advice though and do the novice 1, though. Or something slightly between the two. Thank you!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    It went fine today. I do think I will heed your advice though and do the novice 1, though. Or something slightly between the two. Thank you!

I just finished the Novice 1 plan yesterday. Before I started the plan I could only run 5 miles. Yesterday I ran 13.57 miles.

I personally think you should take the advice and do the Novice 1 as well.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    You're early enough in the program that missing a run here or there won't kill you as long as your mostly consistent overall. That said, I agree with the above, skip the cross training day and do a long run instead.
  • emilysusana
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

I just finished the Novice 1 plan yesterday. Before I started the plan I could only run 5 miles. Yesterday I ran 13.57 miles.

Yeah... a few years ago I did the novice 1 program. I just never got the chance to run the actual race. As I prepared to begin training this time, I thought maybe I could do novice 2 since I’d already been through 1. But I don’t have a strict time goal or anything. I just want to run a half and feel good. So I’ll do novice 1.

Congrats on your success!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

Yeah... a few years ago I did the novice 1 program. I just never got the chance to run the actual race. As I prepared to begin training this time, I thought maybe I could do novice 2 since I’d already been through 1. But I don’t have a strict time goal or anything. I just want to run a half and feel good. So I’ll do novice 1.

Congrats on your success!

Thank you, and good luck.