Apps to keep track of strength training

I'm looking for app for Android where I can record what exercise I'm doing/machine I'm using, reps and weights, things like that. Something to help me keep track so I can monitor my progress. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    I'm using Fitnotes Pro and love it. The free version had about everything I wanted to be honest, but the pro wasn't much so I grabbed it.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Jefit is my favorite.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    I've tried a ton of apps and they all have tradeoffs The old paper notebook is hard to beat. I'm guessing a note app might do the same thing as that.
  • shadow2641
    shadow2641 Posts: 27 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I'm using Fitnotes Pro and love it. The free version had about everything I wanted to be honest, but the pro wasn't much so I grabbed it.

I use Fitnotes as well and I love it. I have been contemplating upgrading. Is it worth it? I am always concerned spending money and you don't actually get anything different than what you were already getting. But I love everything you can keep track of. I usually create different workouts based at which gym I am at because the machines aren't all weighted the same. And you can keep track of your measurements as well and go back into the month calendar and see what grouping of exercises you did on what day. Which is great if you are scatter-brained like me and can't remember what you did the day before!
  • Phirrgus
    shadow2641 wrote: »

I use Fitnotes as well and I love it. I have been contemplating upgrading. Is it worth it? I am always concerned spending money and you don't actually get anything different than what you were already getting. But I love everything you can keep track of. I usually create different workouts based at which gym I am at because the machines aren't all weighted the same. And you can keep track of your measurements as well and go back into the month calendar and see what grouping of exercises you did on what day. Which is great if you are scatter-brained like me and can't remember what you did the day before!

@shadow2641 The main difference that I enjoy is the abilty to set workouts per any metric. Time/reps/weight/distance etc, or any combo. I don't remember what the free version limited me to, but being able to track accurately as actually did the set (reps only for instance, no weight or anything else) is nice for $4.99 US.

Hope that helps some.
  • shadow2641
    shadow2641 Posts: 27 Member

@shadow2641 The main difference that I enjoy is the abilty to set workouts per any metric. Time/reps/weight/distance etc, or any combo. I don't remember what the free version limited me to, but being able to track accurately as actually did the set (reps only for instance, no weight or anything else) is nice for $4.99 US.

Hope that helps some.

That is very helpful, thank you! For only $4.99 that isn't bad at all. Might totally be worth it. Thank you for the insight @Phirrgus !
  • Phirrgus
    edited February 2019

Hope that helps some.

That is very helpful, thank you! For only $4.99 that isn't bad at all. Might totally be worth it. Thank you for the insight @Phirrgus !

👍

Edit: I just realized you should be able to see everything in the free version. Whatever has a lock next to it is what you get.
  • kh1557
    kh1557 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm using Jefit and LOVE it!
  • llmg970
    llmg970 Posts: 257 Member
    I use bodyspace app. its helpful to track with, there are more features if you login on a computer
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Fitbod is my JAM
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Curious here—how are these apps better/easier than a google spreadsheet on my phone? I usually track exercise, reps, weight, with a different sheet within the doc for each program day (ie, one sheet for day a, separate tab for day b, different doc for each program I run). If there’s an awesome advantage or increase in ease of use I’ll switch!
  • Phirrgus
    Curious here—how are these apps better/easier than a google spreadsheet on my phone? I usually track exercise, reps, weight, with a different sheet within the doc for each program day (ie, one sheet for day a, separate tab for day b, different doc for each program I run). If there’s an awesome advantage or increase in ease of use I’ll switch!

@gradchica27 - It would be hard to say without a side by side view - if you open fitnotes it probably won't look much different than what you have built already, depending on your format. The advantages for me are ease of copying workouts to new days, tracking progress via a graph and time. Very simple to use with minimal input required.

Downside of fitnotes for iOS is that there isn't one. Works flawlessly on Android though. Maybe download the free version and see what you think.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've tried a few different apps and personally, I find them all to be rather "clunky" and time consuming. I just use a notebook and pen...I write out my program for that day before I go anyway and then I just have to add the weight used when I'm done.