Has anyone else felt this way?

Options
So I weighed 289 when I started I am down 27 lbs now weighing 271, I can feel the weight loss and in my clothes, but when I look in the mirror I dont see it does anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have definitely felt that way at times, yes. The change you see comes in waves. I also had the opposite experience at times like when I went from about 260 to 240 it felt so drastic that it freaked me out in the mirror. Meanwhile going down to 199 and below I wasn't as surprised by the changes in my appearance. Hang in there & I think you will be pleased!
  • pattybristow
    pattybristow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! But I keep saying to myself "as long as I can feel the change in my clothes, then the image I want to see in the mirror will follow" Don't know when, but it will..... 🤞🤣🤣

So, my advice to you is keep positive, keep going and the results will show!
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Sunflowerinbloom Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys it's just frustrating at times but I will not give up I am a brides maid in a wedding in sept and I have to be down so i can fit in the dress
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    It takes a long time to notice in the mirror. A lot of people recommend taking progress pictures because it is easier when you have pictures to compare. We look at ourselves so much that we get used to slow changes very qucikly, before we've even noticed that they occurred. I'm down 37 and I still have trouble. In the mirror I can see a difference, but if I look down at myself it's like I haven't changed at all.
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Options
    I do have a lot of pics I take and can see in my face that I have just cant tell to much in my stomach but can fit in some Jean's I could not button before, so I will try again when I have lost some more
  • wallflower_17
    wallflower_17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've seen someone else use the analogy of an onion - when you begin taking the first layers off, it doesn't change the look of the onion itself much at all, but you can see by looking at the layer itself that a decent chunk was removed. As you remove layer after layer, the change to the onion's appearance becomes more and more dramatic with each removal. Our bodies are similar - if you have a lot of weight to lose, it may not be as noticeable in the beginning, but will become more and more dramatic with each loss you achieve.

Focus on how great you FEEL now and look forward to the visual celebrations ahead of you. You are doing great!
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Options
    Thanks for that, that really helps I will remember that, I will put that with my weightloss album so I can look back on that!!
  • jefftopp
    jefftopp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Keeeeeep going... give it a month and people will start to notice the difference .. your body takes time to adjust to the diet and exercise change but it will pay off in the end 💪💪💪💪
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I've seen someone else use the analogy of an onion - when you begin taking the first layers off, it doesn't change the look of the onion itself much at all, but you can see by looking at the layer itself that a decent chunk was removed. As you remove layer after layer, the change to the onion's appearance becomes more and more dramatic with each removal. Our bodies are similar - if you have a lot of weight to lose, it may not be as noticeable in the beginning, but will become more and more dramatic with each loss you achieve.

Focus on how great you FEEL now and look forward to the visual celebrations ahead of you. You are doing great!

I like this onion analogy! I've always thought of the one I read here on MFP about 5 years ago...of a paper towel roll. At first, removing 4 sheets from the roll is barely noticeable. Later on, as the roll gets smaller, it is much more noticeable when you remove 4 sheets. When the roll is almost gone, removing 4 sheets makes it half its size. I honestly think of this quite often as I've been at maintenance for a long time and have to remind myself that losing 1-2 lb is a decent accomplishment for me now whereas 100+ pounds ago, I'd have to lose 5+ lb to see the same change as far as looser jeans and such.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs about 10 years ago now. I've recently lost 30. I can't ever see it in the mirror. The scale, my clothes, lots of things tell me it's happened but rarely can I see it. However, when I look back on pictures I can see it. Something about the objective nature of looking backwards.

My best advice is to track things other than scale weight, like body measurements and TAKE PICTURES! lol.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So I weighed 289 when I started I am down 27 lbs now weighing 271, I can feel the weight loss and in my clothes, but when I look in the mirror I dont see it does anyone else feel this way?

Pictures...

changes are small and slow and you look at yourself in the mirror everyday so they won't be particularly noticeable.