Suck it up or take a break?

Options
I have started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. Finished Day 2, Week 1 yesterday. I am sore today! Wondering if I should just keep going or take a break for one day? I did a 30 minute jog today so it's not like I'm not working out at all. Is it good or bad for your body to work through pain?

Replies

• Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Take a break. Your body needs a recovery day, especially when you are using new muscles.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    If you really feel like you can't complete the workout then take a break, but if you can work through it then work through it. Anytime you start doing a new workout your body is most likely going to be sore.

It is important to give your body a day of rest every week though.
  • becky_turcotte
    Options
    Take a break. Your body needs a recovery day, especially when you are using new muscles.

Agree
  • melindenmark
    melindenmark Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i am also on week one and completed day to, i was also very very sore so went for a run instead of the 30 DS. Will pick it up again tomorrow but i dont think i would of gotten through the whole work out today if i tried.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I posted a similar post about my INSANITY workout my legs hurt sooo much but EVERYONE told me to work through it...so I did and honestly five mins in my legs didnt even hurt anymore!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    suck it up
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you honestly took a break after doing something that makes you sore and its exercise related, you would hardly ever do anything. The issue if understanding the degree and kind of soreness/pain and what it means. Your standard muscle fiber mirco tear soreness is a good thing and does not require a break. An injury of any kind should warrant consciousness and may or may not warrant active healing. The trick is to understand your body enough to know the difference. Personally i rarely take days off when i am in active training cycles. When its a good sore as has been previously mentioned your body will flush muscles as you start a new and you wont even remember you were sore when you started.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If you're unfamiliar with the difference between a soreness you can work through and one you can't, I'd say err on the side of safety. That being said, if you stretch really well before and after and the soreness isn't too unbearable, I also don't think it would be too much of a problem to at least try it and see how you feel, knowing you might have to stop.
  • k8wilson
    k8wilson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've worked through the soreness pain before and it actually made my soreness go away. As long as the pain isnt anything else, you can try to work through it.
  • dreamangel18105
    dreamangel18105 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My general rule is "work through soreness, rest for pain." Muscle soreness is a good thing! If you think of it that way, you'll be able to push through. Maybe not at 100% intensity if you're really sore, but you'll be able to give it all you've got. Pain, however, is a different story. If it's PAIN, hold off!
  • Chloe71
    Chloe71 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input from everyone. Going for a run earlier actually loosened up my muscles a bit so I decided to suck it up! Now that it's over, I'm glad that I did. It was tough but not impossible. 3 days down, 27 to go! Thanks again for the support.