Eating when hungry not when it's "meal time"

Options
In the US, the standard accepted meal pattern is breakfast, lunch and dinner, with dinner being the largest meal. I have realized we all accept this as the norm, but my body's hunger doesn't work that way. I am never hungry before 10 am, so tend to skip breakfast and just have juice with my fiber supplement. I am hungriest right around 11 am-12pm and want my largest meal then. I'm usually only mildly hungry at "dinner time" so have a small dinner, not the big dinners I grew up with. I feel like I grew up thinking I had to adjust my body to the norm- breakfast right after waking up, medium sized lunch, big dinner. I now adjust the meals to my hunger level and I don't worry about what time it is and that it's "too early" for lunch, or that I can't have eggs for dinner. Sometimes I eat a very large lunch and don't eat dinner at all. I know some of it is societal- we eat meals together as families or groups so some set times make sense. But I'm trying to pay attention to my body's hunger and not eat out of habit because it's "time" for lunch or dinner. Anyone else doing this?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I eat when I am hungry. Some mornings this means I drink a cup of coffee at 5 am and don’t eat until 9-10am. Other mornings I might actually be hungry at 6 or 7am. Sometimes this is tied to when my last meal/snack was the night before. If I stopped eating at 6pm than I am more likely to want breakfast, but if the last thing I ate was around 10pm I am more likely to skip breakfast. I still have to watch portion sizes, but forcing myself to eat when I am not hungry causes me to over eat.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I’ve never felt like I had to eat at set times during the day. Dinner together as a family is the only scheduled meal we have and that’s because it’s the only meal that consistently works with all of our schedules to sit down together.

Some days I eat nothing until dinner and have a huge evening meal. Other days I might eat 3-4 small meals throughout the day.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I changed my meal names in my food diary to “Meal 1,” “Meal 2,” etc. to help get me out of the traditional breakfast/lunch/dinner mindset.

When I saw “dinner,” I would think, “it’s 6pm—time to eat.” Even if I wasn’t really hungry. Same thing for other meals.

Simple trick, but for me, effective. The generic meal names also made it not matter what was a “meal” and what was a “snack” and in what order they occurred.

For me, a lot of weight loss (and maintenance) is a mental game.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I eat ~5 meals a day. Small breakfast right after waking up. 2nd breakfast around 9:30 or so. Lunch anywhere from 11:30 to 1:30. Small afternoon snack before the gym and then a pretty hefty dinner. Sometimes I add in a dessert as well, depending on my hunger levels/calories left at the end of the day. I really love food.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    In the US, the standard accepted meal pattern is breakfast, lunch and dinner, with dinner being the largest meal. I have realized we all accept this as the norm, but my body's hunger doesn't work that way. I am never hungry before 10 am, so tend to skip breakfast and just have juice with my fiber supplement. I am hungriest right around 11 am-12pm and want my largest meal then. I'm usually only mildly hungry at "dinner time" so have a small dinner, not the big dinners I grew up with. I feel like I grew up thinking I had to adjust my body to the norm- breakfast right after waking up, medium sized lunch, big dinner. I now adjust the meals to my hunger level and I don't worry about what time it is and that it's "too early" for lunch, or that I can't have eggs for dinner. Sometimes I eat a very large lunch and don't eat dinner at all. I know some of it is societal- we eat meals together as families or groups so some set times make sense. But I'm trying to pay attention to my body's hunger and not eat out of habit because it's "time" for lunch or dinner. Anyone else doing this?

This seems like a very sensible approach to me. We are all different and there is no one size fits all when it comes to meal timing and size. I do much better with 5 smaller meals a day rather than the standard 3, but others would hate this way of eating.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    My biggest meal is at mid-day. Got into this habit back in my IF days and it works well with my schedule.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    Options

You can anything(within reason) whenever you want to... I have eggs for dinner occasionally( "breakfast for dinner " bacon, eggs, pancakes or hash)

Don't feel like you can only eat at certain times. Listening to your body is best! I never used to be a breakfast person. I now have a yogurt and some fruit early, because I can't work out on a empty stomach. On days I don't go to the gym, I often wait a few hours before having anything.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Meal timings, unless you're an elite athlete or there is a compelling medical reason, are largely irrelevant.

I personally rarely if ever feel hungry during the day while at work. I found myself eating lunch only because it was "lunch time". So I stopped eating lunch and instead work through lunch or I'll go outside and go for a walk during my lunch break instead.

This works for me because I tend to find myself very hungry at night regardless of how much I have eaten during the day. Skipping lunch and only having a very light breakfast means that when the evening rolls round I have loads of calories left and can eat a dinner that is sufficiently large to satisfy me.

I think the biggest 'secret' that I've learned that has seen me successfully lose weight this time is to screw the rules and just do what works for me.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 meals most days. Usually a small breakfast, a moderate to large sized lunch, a moderate sized "early dinner" and a moderate to large sized "late dinner". I've scheduled like that mostly to work with my gym time, which is a class from 7:00pm-8:30pm.

Meal times are largely built around the traditional work week. Breakfast before you go to work, lunch during your one hour break from work, and dinner after you get home from work. But they don't need to be that way. It can be whenever best fits you.

One caution I would give about "whenever you are hungry" is that it's totally fine from a timing perspective, but make sure you are still eating enough calories even on days you don't feel particularly hungry. Your body's hunger indicators are not always a good barometer of whether you are giving yourself enough energy or not, so make sure that you are doing that each day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    On weekends, sometimes.

During the week, no, not practical for me.

I need breakfast before work and I need my lunch when my lunch break is.

There is also the compromise when you live with other people. Even if I didn't feel like dinner till 10.00 my husband wouldn't agree - ( and vice versa). and we do like to eat together when we are both home.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Now that I work from home I've found that shifting all my meals forward a bit works the best for me. I tend to eat breakfast at around 9-10am, lunch at 2pm and dinner at 8pm. When I was in an office I felt like I had to eat lunch at 12pm to be sociable and I'd never really be hungry then but be starving at around 3-4pm with ages to wait until dinner. Shifiting my meal times just a few hours forward has completely eliminated snacking.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I do that too. I work from home, so I have the flexibility to eat at any time. Late lunch is my heaviest meal (it always has been, lunch is the most important meal where I live), and dinner is my lightest. I eat breakfast whenever I first feel hungry in the morning, which means anywhere from 8 am to completely skipping. I eat eggs whenever I want and love oatmeal for dinner (very soothing and helps me sleep). I sometimes eat the oddest things for breakfast - yesterday I had potato chips. I also snack throughout the day whenever I want or don't snack at all.

The only time my meals are pre-set is when we eat lunch together as a family or when I'm going out for dinner. In that case, I eat when I'm not hungry or wait out the hunger until it's time to eat.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Because I eat so frequently (bulking atm) I kinda need to eat at set times otherwise it's difficult eating the number of cals I need to in a day. Of course there are times when I can't do that and have to join two meals together but that's tough to get through so I avoid it when I can.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options

I have never lived in the US, and growing up, my family always ate our main meal at noon.

As an adult, I eat when I want to eat. No breakfast, lunch around 1:30 pm, dinner about 7 pm. Snacks in between. It works for me. :)

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I try to do this, and eat according to my hunger cues. I'm trying to get more into "inuitive" eating like this, to transition away from calorie counting. I have lost weight before with this method, but went to calorie counting for a more consistant way to track and eat. It's not something I want to do forever (counting calories).

I try to hold off on eating my first meal until I get hungry, which is around 10am. Then I have a small breakfast, a small to medium lunch, snack if I need one, and a larger dinner. On the weekends it tends to be a big brunch, a midafternoon snack, and then dinner. I do okay with listening to my body's hunger cues, but sometimes it's challenging. For example: Just now, we got our Monday morning donuts in, and even though I wasn't hungry yet I opted to go ahead and snag one while the selection was still good, and not wait until my normal hungry time, around 10. Stopping before I get too full is another challenge. Especially if the food is really tasty.

I would reccomend counting for a while though. I feel like it has helped me with this technique. I can set my limit to X number of calories, and pay attention to how I feel through the day. It also helped me see what my macros should look like in a day, which also helped me deal with hunger cues. If I was starving despite having enough calories, I could look and see I was usually low in protien. So, then I would add in something higher in protien in my diet to get my protien levels up, and the hunger would taper off. But now I know what that looks like for me for the most part. Aside from a few calorie spot checks here and there.

I maintained August-December eating this way. Then counted through January the first half of Feb to get my bearings back on trying to lose weight. I am going to try losing this way too for a while and see how I do. If I stall out, gain, or lose too fast It'll probably be back to counting for me.