Plant Based or Wannabe? Add me! 🍎

Options
Looking to share recipes, goals, new finds and gain encouragement and support of others striving for a WFPB diet. I keep falling off the wagon and getting back on again. Determined to get it right this time! 🍅🌶🌽🥔 🥬 🍏

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I'm currently following the DASH protocol, which focuses on veggies/fruit, whole grains, beans etc. I like it though because it's not an 'all or nothing' kind of deal, which makes it enjoyable and realistic for me :) It's not a vegetarian woe but it's easy to modify to how you prefer to eat, if you don't eat meat (I'm a pescetarian).

• NCBlessings
    NCBlessings Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don’t eat meat or fish. I’ve struggled a bit with dairy & sugar but really want to keep those out, as well as processed foods. Fruit, veggies, whole grains, legumes and some nuts.
  • mephyme1
    mephyme1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have come off the Daniel Fast with a new appreciation of being meat, dairy and sugar free (and yeast free). It was wuite an eye-opener. I haven't really eaten much meat since and would like to explore the vegan lifestyle. I do have some recipes, but I would like to kmow gow to partivipate in the group.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Ovo-lacto vegetarian. I cook a lot of vegan recipes (has to do with being strictly kosher, married to a meat-eater, and it getting complicated if we sit down together and he's having meat while I'm having dairy. I find it easier not to cook dairy that often, and a lot of vegetarian—as opposed to vegan—cookbooks seem to be more than 50% dairy. I feel I get more money's worth from vegan cookbooks. That being said, I have Greek yogurt for breakfast, the occasional cheese sandwich on a bagel, etc. And I have no problems with eggs apart from their obviously not being used as ingredients in those vegan cookbooks.)

Add if you like!
  • 2plustwo
    2plustwo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok I tried to add you. I’m new at this so... I am searching for fellow plant food people!🙂 I have 25 lbs to lose. Not sure how this happens when I do eat mostly plant based. But I’d love the accountability and support!! Anyone feel likewise feel free to add me
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    2plustwo wrote: »
    Ok I tried to add you. I’m new at this so... I am searching for fellow plant food people!🙂 I have 25 lbs to lose. Not sure how this happens when I do eat mostly plant based. But I’d love the accountability and support!! Anyone feel likewise feel free to add me

The same way it happens for everyone else -- eat at a deficit.

Many of us have found that counting calories is a good tool to ensure you're consistently hitting your calorie goal.
  • NCBlessings
    Options
    2plustwo wrote: »
    Great! 😊
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Youtube has lots of videos on WFPB eating(whole food plant based)
  • NCBlessings
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    Youtube has lots of videos on WFPB eating(whole food plant based)
    Yes they do! There’s also a bunch of documentaries. Are you WFPB or vegan?

• anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm whole food plant based in that the majority of my diet comes from whole plant foods. Most of my meals are vegan, although I'll eat eggs, salmon, or dairy from time to time.

Glad to join you all in your healthy journeys. Will try to add ya'll as friends :)
  • eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    I'm currently following the DASH protocol, which focuses on veggies/fruit, whole grains, beans etc. I like it though because it's not an 'all or nothing' kind of deal, which makes it enjoyable and realistic for me :) It's not a vegetarian woe but it's easy to modify to how you prefer to eat, if you don't eat meat (I'm a pescetarian).

I have a stupid question. I'm supposed to follow the DASH diet but I feel like I am missing something. Is it just eating the recommended foods or is there something specific to track there?
  • amcarpla
    amcarpla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh oh! Add me! I have no clue how to add people. I don't want to give up my meat. I'm a hunter and live in a largely farming community. But I know I need to add more whole foods and plants and less processed.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    eatyogarun wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »

I have a stupid question. I'm supposed to follow the DASH diet but I feel like I am missing something. Is it just eating the recommended foods or is there something specific to track there?

DASH is based on serving recommendations. The NIH's website has all the info you'll need https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/dash-eating-plan
    (click on the link that's labeled Following the DASH Eating Plan and that sections breaks down how many servings per category, based on your calorie intake goals).

There's also an ongoing DASH thread, there's a few of us who are doing it and would love more people to join us :)
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10720748/dash-diet-thread/p1
    (there's several helpful links in the first post)