Beginner at Running....

Options
Hi! I am really interested in running, but I am COMPLETELY new at it..I have no idea where to begin at all. What shoes do I need ? What program should I start off with ? I am really confused....do most people run outside or around a track ? I guess there are a million questions that I have and I really have no idea where to start!

Any help that anyone can offer me would be EXCELLENT! Thank you SO SO much! :bigsmile:

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Go to a local running store and get fitted for shoes.

Use a program like C25K, or something similar. I am using a beginner to 5k program, and I really like it.

Start slow, and be happy with what you can do now! Running is hard work, and takes time to build up endurance!

I run outside for now, but if the weather is icky, I run at an indoor track or (yuck) on a treadmill.

Find someone to run with, who is in the same boat as you. You can keep each other accountable.

Keep at it! You CAN do it! Don't compare yourself to anyone else, everyone progresses at their own rate.

Good luck!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. Take your old shoes. They'll look at them and watch you run or walk. Then recommend shoes based on your physical makeup.

At first this is more expensive but, after doing it you'll know what to look for when you buy again.
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Look up C25K on the net, it is "couch to 5k. I just started last week and it is free to print off the 9 week program that gradually steps you up. Hope that helps, Good Luck!!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yep - it pays to go to a running store and get fitted for good shoes - my previous trainers were shocking to run with...

Quite a few people on here start with C25K (Couch to 5 K) - if you have a smartphone you can download some great apps for it that guides you through each run (I use it on my iPhone and it is fantastic) , but you don't need the app - just google C25K - and you will find the program you can print off

Good luck and enjoy the journey...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you have a decent pair of sneakers, then just go run. Go easy, no reason to kill yourself first time out... just enjoy yourself and go from there.

Tracks ard nice because they make it easy to track distance. Most tracks also have a little cushion, so they areeasier on your legs/joints than the road would be.
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K and went to a running store where I had my gait analyzed. I bought a proper pair of shoes (which has made a HUGE difference in my running) and hit the treadmill.

I just recently joined a group of runners and went on my first run with the group tonight. I find that I completely enjoy running with people because I push myself outside of my comfort zone and I have found everyone to be super supportive. I found the group through Meetup-you can look for a group in your area.

The runner's I ran with tonight are amazing and fast but I did not feel out of place running my slow 12 minute miles nor did I feel like I had to run as far as they did (5+ to my 3.5 miles).

I started out barely able to run the 90 seconds to now pushing myself to 3 and more miles. You can do it!! :smile:
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Learn to love running outdoors, no matter what the conditions are. Well there are only a very few that would keep me indoors, Rain, snow or 115 degrees out i run outdoors. Took a little getting used to but i hate running indoor and or on a treadmill. Once you learn to appreciate mother nature, some rain and wind proof gear and experimenting with layering ya'll be good to go.
  • dylinsmommy08
    dylinsmommy08 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Reebox Zigs are good shoes for running.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I started out just running from one street to the next and then walking to the next street. I built that up to running for 2 streets, and now can run for about 20 mins non-stop. Good runners are a must, and don't push yourself too much to start with, because if you are too sore you will not want to do it again. Look up some good stretches for before and after also.

GG
  • dragonflytwt
    dragonflytwt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    DITTO - the Couch to 5k! Love that program, I am finishing it up right now and it's awesome! You definitely want to get you some fitted shoes. I started running with normal athletic shoes and my feet were killing me cause they weren't properly fitted and I got a hairline fracture in my foot. Shoes are VERY important! Don't neglect your feet.

If you have a smart phone, I definitely recommend the C25K app: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/c25k-couch-to-5k/id301233668?mt=8 ! That's an awesome app, you can listen to your music while the program runs in the background and it tells you when to run and walk. It can also map out your runs on the GPS, if you run outside (which I recommend).

Also you want a motivating sound track to get you through, carry some water with you for the few weeks, that will help your body get through your run.

Stretch!!! Remember to stretch before and after your workouts. You won't want to continue if you get sore!

Good luck and have fun!
  • saraemily5
    saraemily5 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started running in march around a track at the gym --it's a little tiny track that takes 12 laps to get one mile. I started out running 2 laps, walking one, running 2, walking 1 and so on, then I started adding running 1 more lap slowly until I was up to running the full 12. I would say it took me about a month. Now (6 months later) I am up to running 3-4 miles at a time - I run outside now. I loathe treadmils and find tracks boring, but in the beginning the track was nice to mark my progress. And don't stress about being slow... I still only get a 12-13 minute mile but I am proud that I CAN run 3 to 4 miles where as a year ago I couldn't even think about running one quarter of a mile. As for shoes I just wear my regular tennis shoes and they're fine.