Cheat days, do you have them?

Options
How often do you have cheat days?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Not really. I try to look at my calories on a weekly basis and fit treats and such into it.
  • Jenna__XoXo
    Jenna__XoXo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week, usually Saturday.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I have variation in days. Some days I eat more calories than others. That allows for what some would consider "cheats" but to me I really just consider it foods I'm eating within my goals. I can still have sushi, burgers, etc. I just do it within my targets. Your body counts calories on a "cheat day" count the same as any other calories. So if you use the day as an excuse to go way over your targets, you will see is negatively affect your results. That doesn't mean that sometimes you can't budget for days with higher calories to eat some foods you enjoy.
  • Foodiemom67
    Foodiemom67 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Although I eat pretty much everything I want, there are cheat meals for me to keep my sanity going..LOL...i do try not to make my cheat meal, a cheat day though..and the next day, i work harder to try and salvage the rest of the week...

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Nah. No cheat days required. I eat all the things I want and simply make sure it fits within my calorie goal for the day. I generally pre-log my food a day in advance as well; so if there is something in particular I'm wanting that day, I'll look at my calorie allotment and decide whether it's really worth it or not. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not, but it helps keep things in perspective for me by pre-logging my food. So, if I decide to eat whatever it is I'm interested in; I'll maneuver a few things around to make it happen, working within my calorie goal range.

Also to note, it's okay to go over your calorie goal from time to time. It's going to happen, and so long as you keep an active notation of how much you went over, you log it and move on. In the grand scheme of things, one day over every now and again isn't going to be the end all.

My two cents...take it with a grain of salt. :smile:

This is how I go about things too, although I will get additional exercise in if I know I am planning to eat more than usual.
  • jlbs75
    jlbs75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi - I try to have two days where I am 'less strict'. (e.g. not bother counting). So technically probably a cheat day. But if I haven't been strict on the rest of the week days, I don't let myself do this.
  • shadow2641
    shadow2641 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No set cheat days but once a week we tend to go out to dinner and if we decide to splurge on a dessert that is okay. But I really try not to limit myself because by limiting and removing something I tend to crave it more, especially in the early stages of my diet. Once I make into about a month of my diet I don't tend to crave the food and the amount of food I was eating. Also I decided to eliminate beer from my alcohol intake, except for once a week. Once again, no set day, just if the craving strikes.

But I will say I don't have a cheat day or a cheat meal, but a cheat course to my meal....so if I wanted something a bit more carby that is okay.
  • karlpm
    karlpm Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    One meal a week I’ll eat whatever I want.
    Usually still log it (if I can figure it out)

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what your goals are.

A cheat day can easily wipe out your calorie deficit for the entire week, (presuming you had one) which will stall weight loss.

I don't 'cheat.' Who am I cheating on if not myself? Some days I eat more than others because life happens, but when averaged out over the week it's usually within limits. And when it's over (like around Christmas) no biggie. I enjoyed myself with friends, family and special food and it was entirely worth it.

I find - for me - that the 'cheat day' mentality can be counterproductive and can turn into a free-for-all. Regardless, I log everything I eat, even on days (especially on days!) when I blow my budget. Because even if you're not counting your cheat days, your body is. ;)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Divilish, that approach may well work for you - but one thing I've learnt about weight loss is that different approaches work for different people.

I don't think everyone could do with a cheat/ treat day.

Everyone who wants to lose weight needs to eat, on average, a daily calorie deficit.
    How they achieve this also needs to be an approach sustainable for them for the long term.

But no one approach suits everyone.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    I think everyone could use a cheat day. Think of it as "treat" not cheat. As long as you diligently stick to your plan through the week I think treat days are necessary to keep us on the right path.

Treat days tell us it's okay to have something "bad" once in a while, usually once per week as long as we resume the regular routine the next day. Treat days should not however be considered "binge eating" where you eat everything and anything.
    For me, I'd rather budget for a treat every day, instead of waiting for one day a week and then go nuts.

I also don't consider any food as being bad - just some are more caloric or less nutritious than others, but there's a place in my 'budget' for anything I'd like to eat. Just in smaller quantities than I would likely have eaten them in the past. :)

For me, waking up on Monday and thinking, "Darn, my treat day was yesterday. Today's gonna suck," and then repeating that for the balance of the week would likely be problematic. I've found that by having no food 'off limits' except for one day a week, often just knowing I can have a treat if I want to is enough to make me not need it. It's the forbidden fruit mindset that doesn't work well for me - if I can't have it (for whatever arbitrary reason) I just want it that much more. ;)

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    I think everyone could use a cheat day. Think of it as "treat" not cheat. As long as you diligently stick to your plan through the week I think treat days are necessary to keep us on the right path.

Treat days tell us it's okay to have something "bad" once in a while, usually once per week as long as we resume the regular routine the next day. Treat days should not however be considered "binge eating" where you eat everything and anything.

If you workout regularly the body can manage a treat day easily. Look at Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's treat day!
    https://delish.com/food-news/a23458974/the-rock-diet-cheat-day-meal/

Or just let go of the concept of "bad" food and realize that it's possible to create a sustainable routine that includes the foods you love.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have some days when I eat quite a bit above my usual calorie goal. I log them like any other days. I don't call them "cheat" days because I'm not really cheating anything.
  • shawnt85
    shawnt85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day but do plan a treat meal once a week. I'll plan my day around it, if need be i'll eat at maintenance to squeeze it in
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have whole cheat days, but I budget my calorie allotment for eating things that I want to eat. If I'm going out to eat in the evening, for example, I will have a light lunch. I also don't eat very many of my exercise calories regularly, so I feel prepared if something unexpected comes up. That's how I do it, but it might not work for everyone.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have "life happens" days.