How long should I wait?

Options
ladybug4233
ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
If you saw my other post you know I have been hovering over the same weight. I am weighing everything I eat on a food scale and logging it. I have marked my activity level down and eating some of my exercise calories. I have started a new exercise program and I am always sore so I hope I am just retaining water. According to everything I should be down at least 3 pounds. It has been 25 days. When should I see some results? I thought I read 6 weeks somewhere.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    New exercise programs can often lead to temporary water retention, which may be "hiding" your weight loss. If you feel confident in your logging, I would stay on plan and be patient.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your eating healthy you should of seen results in the first week even if its just one 1lb. But when you add working out even if its just 30 minutes of your day it makes a difference too.

For me personally, i cant do one without the other. if im eating healthy i will workout too because just eating healthy doesnt work for me.

Not everyone sees results in the first week, especially if they're adding new exercise.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Stick with it, you will start seeing fat loss soon.

All the best.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I’ve read your other posts. I think for a small female who is a few pounds away from goal weight, those last few could take a long time. I recall someone pointing out your logging...I would suggest cleaning up your eating. Replace the Girl Scout cookies and chips with other snacks. I’m not saying people don’t get results eating whatever they want as long as it fits their macros, but if your struggling with the last few pounds it could help.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I am a big fan of double checking logging. I've successfully lost weight a few times (most recently 40+pds) and STILL find errors in my logging. Sure I weight and log, but sometimes I pick incorrect entries. Yesterday I was looking thru a recipe I logged and noticed I had under represented an ingredient so for two weeks that snack was 30cals off. I was way off on my meat weight until 5-6mts ago (raw VS cooked). Sooo many other examples of small errors I've been picking up over time even though I "was weighing and logging all food".

recently I started tracking my gum (I was eating a pack a day which is actually quite a few calories). And jelly bean (what started as 1-2 a day slowly creeped up, now I just log those properly.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did loose about 5 pounds right away by eating right and exercising and just stalled once I started resistance training. Although I eat some treats here and there they are in my calories and I always have some left. I started a spreadsheet documenting how many calories I have left and how many my Apple Watch says I have at the end of the day and I have enough of a deficit a day to loose. I just get frustrated with the scale so I was just wondering what a good time frame would be.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I was sick for a week and was depressed when I found out that the Dayquil medication I was taking 4x a day was adding several hundred calories to my day!!

It really sucks when the scale stands still, but if you’re doing everything right, it WILL drop.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Another vote for full menstrual cycle plus a bit, if premenopausal, when changing regimen.

Unless you're seriously obese so OK shooting for a very fast loss rate, I'd go with a month, even without homonal factors in the picture. Eating too much and losing slowly may be frustrating, but eating too little compromises energy level/activity so is counterproductive, and could be unhealthy.

Hang in there: Best wishes!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If you saw my other post you know I have been hovering over the same weight. I am weighing everything I eat on a food scale and logging it. I have marked my activity level down and eating some of my exercise calories. I have started a new exercise program and I am always sore so I hope I am just retaining water. According to everything I should be down at least 3 pounds. It has been 25 days. When should I see some results? I thought I read 6 weeks somewhere.

If you are still sore, then your muscles are still in some state of repair/inflammation so you are probably still retaining some water there.
  • Nokt2018
    Nokt2018 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When starting out on a new exercise/weight loss plan, it always takes me a bout 6 to 8 weeks before I see any real change.
  • fergusonjamillah
    fergusonjamillah Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If your eating healthy you should of seen results in the first week even if its just one 1lb. But when you add working out even if its just 30 minutes of your day it makes a difference too.

For me personally, i cant do one without the other. if im eating healthy i will workout too because just eating healthy doesnt work for me.

Not everyone sees results in the first week, especially if they're adding new exercise.

I know everyone body is different