Walking shoes/Trainers/Running Shoes

Options
So I need new shoes but I don't know what kind to get. I do a lot of walking, using the elliptical, and workout videos at home. Eventually I do want to start jogging. What kind of shoes do I need? Walking/trainers/running? What's the difference in them? Why is one better for walking and one better for jogging?

Replies

• Kristy144
    Kristy144 Posts: 166
    Options
    New Balance are the best shoes ever!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics!
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    New Balance are the best shoes ever!

yep I agree I love my new balance
  • sabo1974
    sabo1974 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm a shoe freak. I have TONS of workout shoes. However, the best shoes I've found for working out have been the NIKE Free Run +2. I love these shoes. They look a little dorky but they feel like you're wearing socks and they're very cushy. I do a lot of cross training when I workout so I need something versatile...plus I suffer from tendonitis in my ankle and I love this shoe.
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    honestly ive always heard asics are amazing.. somehow i ended up gettin Lunarglides my Nike..that are also supposed to be great for running.. and theyre Awesome! i love them!!! its like runnin on air! no pains, no problems.. therye awesome!!
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are made for a forward motion only. Don't use them if you're going to be doing workout videos, etc. If you want to jog/run, that's fantastic! Do invest in a good pair of Asics, Brooks, or New Balance, and wear them ONLY for running.

Other than that, get yourself a good pair of cross-trainers. I wear Nike Frees, but there are lots of good ones out there. Cross-trainers are made with support in all directions. :) Hope that helps!
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Everyone's needs for shoes are different. I would suggest going to a running store and letting them see what type of shoe you would benefit from. Especially since you are going to be running, you want to ensure you have good support. I used to run in generic shoes (nike) and I had pain up my legs. After I got fit for a different shoe (Mizunos), I don't have pain in my legs anymore, and I can run a lot faster. It made a huge difference for me.
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    You can go to www.roadrunnersports.com and use the Shoe Finder app to find a shoe that will be the best fit for what you want to do. I have been happy with several brands of shoes like Saucony, Asics, Mizuno, and Newton. I haven't had Nike in years. The Newtons tend to be for the more hardcore runners, especially natural running or forefoot strikers.
  • ksandy1224
    ksandy1224 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have to hand it to the ASICS as well. I have two pair, they're both running shoes and I don't run. I take 7 fitness classes through the week at my gym, they're very varied and I only use running shoes. I just bought a new pair of Ryka's last night that I'm going to test out in Step Aerobics later today, they're very comfortable too and Ryka is made specifically for women. You should also see what type of gait you have so that you can find the proper support, especially if you plan to eventually run in them. Good luck, I hope this helps!
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    I have Nike Dual Fusion and I love them :)
  • keljo720
    keljo720 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store and they fit me according to pronation and gait. I tried a couple of brands and ended up going with the Asics Gel Nimbus. I have really high arches and they even customized and inserted an arch support for free.
  • Somemass
    Options
    Mandi, Although they look unusual, if you are just starting out running/jogging, consider getting a pair of "five toe" or "barefoot" shoes. I know a lot of people are intimidated by the fact the shoes have no cushioning or arch support, but the thing to remember is these shoes force your feet to tell you when something is wrong with the way you run. I've been in the military 26 years and have had to re-train many of my subordinates on how to run, and running barefoot is the best way I've come across.

Many people try to run heel to toe (their heel strikes the ground first) but this puts huge amounts of stress on your joints. If you have padded shoes it won't hurt your joints enough to make you change your foot position, but in the long term it will cause joint damage. With the barefoot shoes it hurts if you strike your heel so you should instinctively change your gait so you land on the balls of your feet.

Start out in small increments. If you've never run much, or not at all, start with a 100 meter jog, then increase the distance by 100 meters every time you go out. If you have run before, but just not recently, start out at a 1/4 mile. Don't run every day either, especially while starting out. Run every other or every third day until you get up to a comfortable distance.

Please share how you do!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Since everyone is screaming out their favorite brand, I'll say what no one else has - Pearl Izumi!

Having said that, it doesn't matter what ANYONE'S favorite brand is if it doesn't fit YOU well.

Getting properly fitted is better than taking a survey. :smile: