Calories

Options
Hi all. Need a bit of advice. I’ve bought a pack of Betty Smiths tenderloin pork in gravy. The calories on the pack say 128calories per 100grams. Each pack says it’s 225 g. Fitness pal is giving a calorie reading of 128 cals a pack. Anybody have idea which one I should follow. Thanks in anticipation of an answer .

Replies

• kzshelbi
    kzshelbi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Could do it one of two ways really. I dont always think the MFP readings are accurate I usually just go by the package you have in front of you. BUT you could also go with what MFP says because in that case at least you might be technically eating less than you think which is still better than eating more. Hopefully what I said makes some sense.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Google says pork tenderloin is +/- 140 calories per 100 grams, so the one that's on the pack looks a lot more correct.
  • dawnymo1
    dawnymo1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    does it have a barcode if so I would use that I am not trusting the MFP when there is a barcode
  • hypocacculus
    hypocacculus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The MFP calories are totally unreliable as they are input by any Tom, Dick or Harry that chooses to do so. Always believe the label over the MFP list.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    MFP database is a mess. Causing more trouble than it helps.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You need to multiply 2.25x128 for the correct calories. It is telling you it is 128 per 100g, and 225g is 2.25x100. And that's basically how you would ha e to calculate anything over the serving size. Or else just weigh out the perfect 100g and log your 128 calories. It doesn't matter if it has a barcode, it would still tell you the same info and you would still multiply how many servings you have by calories per serving, or reduce the portion to a single serving.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I tried to find the item in the database and I couldnt. If you've found the item that you are sure is it, it doesn't seem like it would be verified, which means you can make edits to the calorie information on the item. Update it with the information from the package. That is more reliable.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    dawnymo1 wrote: »
    does it have a barcode if so I would use that I am not trusting the MFP when there is a barcode

If you're using the barcode to log food on the MFP app, you're trusting MFP (more specifically, MFP users). Scanning the barcode to log food on the MFP app retrieves information from the MFP database just as typing something into the MFP search field. Scanning a bar code doesn't retrieve nutritional information from some location outside of the MFP database.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    julief63 wrote: »
    Hi all. Need a bit of advice. I’ve bought a pack of Betty Smiths tenderloin pork in gravy. The calories on the pack say 128calories per 100grams. Each pack says it’s 225 g. Fitness pal is giving a calorie reading of 128 cals a pack. Anybody have idea which one I should follow. Thanks in anticipation of an answer .

The MFP database is mostly user entered. Go by the package. Whether you type into the search bar or scan the item, you are pulling up entries other users have created. You can correct an entry that you know is wrong, or create your own entry.
  • goodfellows25
    goodfellows25 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I need advice im 5’7 35yo 70kg planing for cutting phase, any idea how to compute my macros, calories 1980
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I need advice im 5’7 35yo 70kg planing for cutting phase, any idea how to compute my macros, calories 1980

You should probably start your own thread, as this one is on a completely different topic.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Always go with the pack.
    MFP database is full of foods input by people who don't understand how to enter a food into their diary by saying they ate less than or more than one serving. So they do their own version, and they define "one serving" differently than on the pack but the entry doesn't make it clear, and MFP allows every single food to be resized.

I've seen some truly crazy things in the database over the last few weeks, and they're probably to blame for a lot of people swearing up and down that they're "only eating 1000 calories why am I gaining weight?"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    julief63 wrote: »

Use the information on the nutrition label of the food. Database entries are crowd sourced from users and there are many inaccuracies. Always go by the label.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    dawnymo1 wrote: »

Using the bar code function is no different than typing the food item into the search field of the database...it pulls up exactly the same stuff from the database. You're still trusting that random user who made the entry did so correctly. There's nothing magical or more accurate about using the bar code function...you're getting the same data from the database.