Healthy snacks

I tend to get sugar cravings late at night. Any ideas for healthy snacks that can fulfull a sweet tooth? Or healthy snack ideas in general??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Can you define what you mean by "healthy"? It's a word than can mean different things to different people, so if you explain what you're looking for you may get better suggestions.
  • ycolon726
    ycolon726 Posts: 5 Member
    Healthy as in non fattening. I am trying to lose weight. Unfortunately, I suffer from depression and instead of not eating I eat everything in sight and have gained 30lbs. I am looking to change the way I eat.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I save 100-250 cals for an evening snack. On days I only save toward the lower end (or less) I'll have a couple of Dove Promises dark chocolate with a cup of mint tea. I keep the "dessert" flavors of Dannon Light & Fit greek yogurt, they're @ 80-90 calories. I also like Fiber One Brownies, 90-110 cals as well.

When I save more, I'll have a weighed out portion of cereal in milk, or a Quaker Oats flavored pouch, or a couple of Oreos.

On the best days, I can fit a bowl of ice cream :smiley:

When I don't manage to save any calories, I find a fruit-flavored herbal tea or a diet soda will hit the spot sometimes.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    A really sweet fruit can do the trick, like red grapes, peach slices sprinkled with some splenda and a dot of whipped cream, mandarin oranges, sugar-free jello or chocolate pudding cups. I'll sometimes have a cup of hot chocolate and a handful of pretzels for that "salty/sweet" taste. The main thing is to measure portions and log everything you eat and drink. You can eat anything you like and lose weight, but you have to eat a total daily calorie count that is less than the amount of calories you burn. Don't think of foods as being "good/healthy" or "bad/unhealthy". Just count the calories you consume and consume less than you burn and you will lose weight over time.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ycolon726 wrote: »
    Healthy as in non fattening. I am trying to lose weight. Unfortunately, I suffer from depression and instead of not eating I eat everything in sight and have gained 30lbs. I am looking to change the way I eat.

No snack is going to be fattening if it fits into your calorie goals. Every snack is going to be fattening if it doesn't.

If you're looking for low calorie snacks that are easier to fit into your calorie goals, I like flavored teas (usually 0-5 calories if you don't have sugar), raw vegetables, and popcorn (make sure you check the label if you're not just doing air-popped to make sure it is low calorie). If you like to snack on sweet things, I've found you can usually get a good hit of sugar from foods like berries or melon without many calories. Frozen grapes are a bit higher calorie, but they usually take more time to eat and they're very sweet. There are also low calorie popsicles, puddings, and even ice creams (Halo Top is a pretty famous one, but they make more lower calorie brands now). When I want something rich, I will have a small portion of chocolate. I like dark chocolate, but you can find just about any kind in small portions and have just a square or two.
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    I usually allocate 300-400 calories a day to snacks as I am a huge snacker. What has worked for me is making sure to fit in a high protein breakfast and lunch first, then allocating the rest to snacks and dinner. On the days I really crave sweets, I drink diet soda. Pre-MFP, I was never much of a soda person but something about cutting back on refined sugars has made me crave it more. And fruits do not normally satisfy this craving for me. So when I really get the urge for something super sweet, I drink a cup or two of diet soda.
  • fayesellman
    fayesellman Posts: 4 Member
    When I want something to snack on I snack on fruits (pears, oranges & apples), or Fusia Crunchy Rice Rolls. They are really tasty. 8 grams of carbs, 4 grams of sugar, no fat and they are 38 calories per roll. Try them, I'm pretty sure you will like them. I get them at Aldi.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Kozy Shack rice pudding. They have 90 calorie servings.

I just had rice pudding for the first time last month and now I'm hooked on the stuff. FWIW, I eat the 120 cal servings and feel plenty satfisied afterwards.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    I like sugar free Popsicles, only 15 calories.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    As crazy as it may sound, during cold months I’ll cook a bowl of oatmeal for a snack late at night. When the weather is warm I eat Blue Bell ice cream. I’ll weigh out 3 oz on a scale - that’s 160 calories for vanilla.