New Big help with meal ideas and a shopping list!!!

Options
Hi.... I 26 with a newborn and Im trying to lose my baby weight plus more but I dont really cook and when I go to the supermarket I always go around in circles because I don't have any ideas for food options and its so hard for me the plan my week in advance without a shopping list.
Can you guys give me some ideas and sample shopping list because I think the only way I can stick to my diet is if I have the food at home and prepared .
P.S. I need easy recipes... Not too good of a cook

Replies

• GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    my favorite is rice, and other grains like that. they take about 10 minutes to make, and go great with a variety of sauces, veggies, and meats! just make sure to choose brown rice, much healthier than white!
  • jess_austin
    Options
    Try buying packet sauces such as casserole mixes etc. these mostly mean you put whatever meat/vegetables into a roasting tin cover with the packet sauce and water and cook for a while!! These can be great tasting and economical when having to cook for your family.
    Or why not try buying ready made sauces such as bolognaise or chilli con carne sauce in a can which can then simply be put in a pan and left on the hob?
    If you want to go really low fat but able to stuff yourself silly homemade salads are a great option, lettuce, onion, cucumber, tomato, maybe some cold slices of meat and you can really fill yourself up cheaply and healthily!

Good luck with the weightloss!
  • Shamrock40
    Shamrock40 Posts: 264
    Options
    I can't do it now, but I'll try to message you some ideas and recipes in the next day or so.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Try buying packet sauces such as casserole mixes etc. these mostly mean you put whatever meat/vegetables into a roasting tin cover with the packet sauce and water and cook for a while!! These can be great tasting and economical when having to cook for your family.
    Or why not try buying ready made sauces such as bolognaise or chilli con carne sauce in a can which can then simply be put in a pan and left on the hob?
    If you want to go really low fat but able to stuff yourself silly homemade salads are a great option, lettuce, onion, cucumber, tomato, maybe some cold slices of meat and you can really fill yourself up cheaply and healthily!

Good luck with the weightloss!

Watch your sodium intake if you do this. Processed, prepackaged stuff is notoriously high in sodium causing you to ratain water.
  • msjuicyc1985
    msjuicyc1985 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh ok that will be great if you can do that for me!! Thanks
  • msjuicyc1985
    Options
    Thank you guys for the ideas!! It's so challenging
  • Melaniemarie86
    Melaniemarie86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Buy as fresh as possible... fresh fruits, veggies and meats are always good things to have on hand... I love chicken, so I like to buy it in bulk, cut it into 4oz servings, then freeze it. That way, it lasts longer. Doing this over chicken that is already packaged and frozen will save you sodium. For carbs, make sure to have whole grain breads, pasta, brown rice, ect. All of these things are pretty versatile and can create many different meal combinations.
  • amie031182
    amie031182 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The staples on my shopping list are: string cheese, low fat yogurt, carrots with light dill dip, any and all kinds of fruit. I try to have at least 3-4 kinds of fruit in the house at all times. I buy them in smaller amounts though so they don't go bad. Frozen vegetable steamers....I stock up here!

Meals:
    -I have a new lasagna recipe that I added-it's really easy, only 290 calories for a serving and is so delicious! Go to my recipes or Lazy lasagna. You don't have to be a good cook and this will still turn out great!

-I love chicken breasts on the grill (or the Foreman frill since I don't have a grill). I sprinkle some salt, pepper and seasoning salt, or other flavor seasonings on the chicken before I cook it. Add frozen steamer vegetables and a small side salad and you have a meal, or put the chicken in a salad.

-I have a ton of other recipes that I love that I've modified....What types of food do you like, I'll send you some recipes otherwise the recipe group is a good one to visit often.
  • msjuicyc1985
    Options
    Wow Amie031182.... You gave me a lot of helpful info... I really like salmon, tilapia, and pastas
  • msjuicyc1985
    Options
    Im staring to try to write a list now with you guys helpful tips... Thanks a bunch everyone again
  • amie031182
    amie031182 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like to bake my fish- you can buy it frozen or fresh, both taste good, but I prefer that it is wild caught not farm raised. You can wrap it tin foil and put it in a pan, this will keep all of your seasonings in with the fish. You can seson it with old bay seasoning, or salt and pepper or lemon pepper seasoning. There are others too, but this should give you a good start. All give you a different tastes, but once you buy the seasoning you have them and can use them for a long time. You can also use the seasonings for chicken too. Pasta is just not very kind to dieters, so I would say make pasta meands like spaghetti, but have smaller portions. I also like to buy the Chicken Voiala meals. They are frozen and quick so rather than fast food, you can make one of those.

Feel free to add me as a friend and I can share other recipes. I too had the same issue when I first started dieting. I wanted simple, but tasty meals- so I've done a lot of experimenting.