Could meth do this???

Options
Alright people I've been wondering this for sometime now maybe someone here has some insight....hopefully.
So back in 2000 a friend introduced me to meth while we were showing horses, it was the greatest thing ever. I quickly dropped around 40 lbs which on me (or really anyone) is a substantial amount. I'm 5'9 and prior to using was always around 145 or so. Now I by no means think that 105 is a sexy look for someone my size and build, I looked like an Etheopian football player. Anyways, I used for about 9 years, slowing down occasionally but for the most part I used anywhere from 1 to 3 grams a day. Ah the perks of dating a dealer. So the state of Tx decided that my habit really wasn't in my best interest and felt the need to step in. I'm still a little bitter about that (just kidding), I've been clean for about 2 years now and in the mean time put on about 60 lbs. I've weighed 160 or right around there for over a year now. I would really like to get back to 145 or so. I work out a lot, eat kind of healthy, lead a very active lifestyle ect ect. So my question is could the years of doing copious amounts of the stuff have messed up my metabolism so bad that it's next to impossible to take the weight off? Just curious any advice is welcome, thanks

Replies

• mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have no idea. However, I wanted to post to say GOOD FOR YOU for being clean for 2 years! :-) Even if you have gained weight, even if you are unable to get to your ideal body size/weight, at least you are healthier now than you were 2.5 years ago.

Maybe talk to a doctor about the weight/metabolism questions?
  • pippyrlz23
    pippyrlz23 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree with mandimoore617...CONGRATS! But definitely talk to your physician about the weight loss. There are a lot of unknowns that happen to your body with drug use. It could be as simple as retraining your body or there might be other stuff you have to do for weight loss...either way, good luck and keep us posted!
  • TTops76
    TTops76 Posts: 116
    Options
    Thank you its been a bumpy road, on the downhill now :)
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would think so because of the way it eats up your dopamine. However, you should be able to correct that but it will take a long time. Congrats on 2 years and not getting eaten alive by meth, that is some nasty *kitten*.
  • shaundam
    shaundam Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say no. I have been clean since July 20th of 2000 and I am able to change myself. Congrats on getting clean brother!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    YES not to mention your brain activity!

But, I had 2 close friends who used FREQUENTLY from junior year in highshool and many years after ( I am 25 now ) and they are both over weight and struggle to lose even though they live moderately healthy lifestyles.

Meth ruines your body, brain, soul, and spirit. I am very happy to hear you are free from that monster.
  • kdchick99
    kdchick99 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB FOR BEING CLEAN FOR 2 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!! Meth is a very hard drug to come off and stay off, so again GOOD JOB!!!!!! What I know about meth from working with at-risk youth and their parents is meth destroys your body from the inside out. Since you did use for so long, it may take your body sometime and TLC to get back to being "normal". Also, like any drug your put in your body it messes with your brain, so maybe somethings have change and may not be "normal" again. Talk with your doctor and with other SA members to see if they have any additional information.

AGAIN GREAT JOB FOR BEING CLEAN FOR TWO YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    Congrats on your sobriety :)

I was a meth user. I went from 130 to 95 lbs. When I got clean I went up to 145ish. Then I started exercising 6 days a week and went down to 136 lbs. I was very active. Running 3 Mi. 3 x's a week combined with circuit training. The other 3 days I taught a high impact aerobic class. I didn't do meth for 9 years though. Only 2 years. So I believe it is possible to train your body into building your metabolism. But - I am no doctor so I can't say you would have the same results.

By the way this was back in 2002 that I got clean & gained a little weight. The training started about a year later. Then I had children and stopped caring and gained all the weight back and then some. It's why I'm here :)
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    Alright people I've been wondering this for sometime now maybe someone here has some insight....hopefully.
    So back in 2000 a friend introduced me to meth while we were showing horses, it was the greatest thing ever. I quickly dropped around 40 lbs which on me (or really anyone) is a substantial amount. I'm 5'9 and prior to using was always around 145 or so. Now I by no means think that 105 is a sexy look for someone my size and build, I looked like an Etheopian football player. Anyways, I used for about 9 years, slowing down occasionally but for the most part I used anywhere from 1 to 3 grams a day. Ah the perks of dating a dealer. So the state of Tx decided that my habit really wasn't in my best interest and felt the need to step in. I'm still a little bitter about that (just kidding), I've been clean for about 2 years now and in the mean time put on about 60 lbs. I've weighed 160 or right around there for over a year now. I would really like to get back to 145 or so. I work out a lot, eat kind of healthy, lead a very active lifestyle ect ect. So my question is could the years of doing copious amounts of the stuff have messed up my metabolism so bad that it's next to impossible to take the weight off? Just curious any advice is welcome, thanks

Congrats on quitting, I'm sure it was very hard but great job on doing it!!

I had trouble losing weight at first but I found that it was because I wasn't committing 100%. I was eating "kinda healthy" too and even though I worked out the unhealthy food really was not letting me drop pounds. You will need to watch what nutrients your body needs for a few days and try to find healthy alternatives and get on a good workout plan. Hope it works for you!!
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    I don't know much about the effects of Meth on metabolism. Good for you for getting clean. Your metabolism can get messed up from a lot of things, like starvation diets, yo yo dieting etc. You could find someone who does metabolic testing. It is about $200 and will give you some great information.I went to a training on metabolic rates last year and this is what I was told for getting your metabolism back on track.

Eat 6 small meals a day, low glycemic carb, protein and a fat. Eat all of your calories for the day.
    Exercise intensly 6 days a week, 3 days a week 60 minutes of cardio in the top of your heart rate zone. Do one long slow cardio workout per week, like a 2 hour hike uphill. Incorporate strength training at least 3 days a week and do interval training on those days as well.

This was the advice given to me after I had my metabolic rate tested. Mine was messed up from yo-yo dieting and then not eating enough calories for too long of a time.
  • drwilhi
    drwilhi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't know the science of it but I do believe so. I have been clean for about 10 years now and have been having issues with my weight and energy levels ever since, but as the years go by I find that I am getting more control and more energy! Don't give up, being clean is worth it.
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    I used to be a drug addict and meth was my choice i started it when i was 14 and quit when i was 18 so only five years and of course i was skinny and after i quit i blew up like a balloon but i think after begin clean for so long that your metabolism starts to reajust so being that you have been clean for 2 years now i think you will be fine and cinnamon and cayenne pepper are great metabolism boosters too...and ive been clean for 10 years now and my metab is fine!!!! Good luck
  • Hyster1
    Hyster1 Posts: 75
    Options
    I don't know about meth but I don't want to say GREAT JOB FOR STAYING CLEAN!!!!! That is awesome. I have been sober since 1983. I would see a DR. and maybe they could give you advice about weight loss. I don't know you, but i'm very proud of you.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    I used for 2 years and have been clean for three, it def takes a toll on your metabolism. It can take awhile for your insides to recover from such abuse. I also found I slept for about 9 hours a night for the first year and a half... people say sleep is not cumulative but I am confident it was due to hardly ever sleeping for those 2 years.. or at least for a lot less than is normal. Just keep at it, your body will heal itself over time.
  • TTops76
    TTops76 Posts: 116
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice. I really need to look in to talking to a doctor from what it sounds like. Unfortunately prior to meth I used to abuse diet pills, and frequently took epicac and lasix to not only induce vomiting but to get rid of any water weight. Obviously all this has taken a toll on me. Loving this healthy journey I'm on it's been a long time coming :) Thank you all again
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options

My personal experience (although my drugs of choice were cocaine and pain killers) is that yes it is possible to lose the weight, but I think it's harder. I know that for me my drug use and rarely eating for years is still effecting my metabolism 5.5 years later.

I gained about 70 pounds in the 2 years after I quit using. I have found that for me I can still gain weight eating a lot less than most people, for me it is about exercise. I have found that for me personally I just can't lose weight through diet alone and I think that it is because my metabolism is still so screwed up, I have to exercise.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I abused strong pain killers for 8 years and learned alot when i attended a detox center to get clean.... It takes 18mos for your brain & dophamine levels to fully recover. I gained weight at first, but quiting my job and being sedentary didn't help either...lol I've been clean over a year and feel better all the time. I eat healthy and exercise now and am slowly losing. Getting off that **** was the hardest thing i've ever had to do in my life, and wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy! The weight will come off,.. i think it just takes longer for us. Good luck & congrats on your sobriety!:flowerforyou:
  • bbl2013t
    bbl2013t Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    yes, thats right it messes up your metabolism so you can't get the weight off and you gain really fast
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what the medical answer is. My drugs were pot and coke but many, many years ago and I was always just an occasional user. What I want to say to you is that I am so glad you had it in you to start the process of beating this awful, awful monster. So many don't and pay the ultimate price. Lastly, don't ever believe that you can't (fill in the blank) because of your past. Always stay positive, we always have to live with the consequences of our past, but we aren't slaves to it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I would say it destroyed your lean muscle mass, which controls metabolism. Which means until you start putting muscle back on, your metabolism is basically shot.

I would def. start weight lifting if you are not already, and talk to a doctor about this. They may be able to shed more light on it.