is it better to eat before exercice?

Options
Hi Ladies,

I was wondering is it better to eat before exercise (ex: walking for 2 miles) or walk than eat? I keep reading articles that contradict themselves?

Thank you

Replies

• xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You should eat a snack(fruit) 45 min before working out. Recover with protien, then a meal.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    How long before, how long after? :wink: Don't overthink it. Do what's most comfortable.

Edit: Oh whoops. Just noticed the "Hi ladies". Please disregard my answer.
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It really depends, if you are just walking then i would eat a small meal after. When i cut i never eat before i workout. I have my protien shake then right after work out i will eat a good protien meal.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat a light protein snack about an hour before working out. Then eat a high protein and carb meal after working out for recovery. Post workout meal should have at least 20g of protein, and a little natural sugar, and some healthy carbs.

It is best for you body to eat your post workout meal within 30 minutes of working out, but no longer than an hour after.

God bless!
  • MegSkaPants
    Options
    Sometimes i will have soup or toast before working out because i will feel weak, and every time i regret it! Something lighter and not liquid is what i would recommend.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    When I work (I'm a teacher), I don't have time to eat before. I get up at 5, go to the bathroom, get dressed, workout, make tea, shower, get cute, leave for work by 6:45ish. Sometimes I make a smoothie & eat on the way. Sometimes, I eat during my prep (2nd hour, 8:45). I know it might not be ideal, but it works for me.
  • IllianaIman
    Options
    Sorry, I am new to this web site! And thanks everyone for responding

Best,

Iman
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    You do whatever feels best/works best for you!
  • IllianaIman
    Options
    Sorry, I am new to this web site, didn’t mean to ask only ladies. Thank you for responding.

Best,

Iman
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    I always have a protein shake right before, like 30 minutes before and then I have my oatmeal about 30 minutes after working out. I've heard Dr. Oz say that you should exercise before eating, but I always feel sick in the middle of my workout if I don't have at least something in my stomach. I think it's all what works best for you.

I've had great success with having a shake first, then exercise and then my breakfast. Do what works for you.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes, everyone's different. I used to work out on an empty stomach. As soon as I started eating something small, between 100 and 200 calories prior, I noticed I had a lot more energy to push it much harder. So now I eat a handful of almonds or whole grain toast with peanut butter about 30 minutes before my workout.
  • Dijon360
    Dijon360 Posts: 19
    Options
    Well you should not work out if it has been hours since you last ate and you are feeling famished. You won't get the most out of your routine unless you have some fuel on board.

My trainer recommended something light before a workout such as soup, or something with lots of whole grains. I agree with what others have said about some protein in the post workout recovery phase.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I was Tina Turner last Halloween, so I am qualified here.

Trial end error. For me its a 200-450 cal snack/pre-work out drink 30-50 minutes before, protein drink with in 30 minutes after completion, then dinner when ever I feel like it.

A rather sexy Tina Turner, actually.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. The BIGGEST thing you 'need' to do is listen to your body. If you find yourself getting weak during your workout then 'lightbulb'...lol. Also, after reading an aritcle, if you find yourself smelling like amonia when you workout it means you are burning your own muscle while you workout. That is a major indicator of you need to put a little something in the tank. Read that one on livestrong a few months ago. I would also think that the time of day matters. Like if you wake up and then workout your tank will be low.
    For myself I will pop a handful of nuts or seeds. Low on cals, good for your body, and gives you protien and fiber. Pumpkin seeds are my fav in the seed department. I keep them in the freezor and grap a handful. Turns out that my handful is not considered a serving on the food chart...lol. Yes I measured out a serving...what can I say.
    Hope this helps. If you are just joining and want a friend feel free to add me ;-]
    You can read my profile and get to know me first
    jac
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I eat before working out, but keep it list. A protein bar, a protein shake or a handful of nuts. I always try to have protein both before and after a workout. However if the food is too heavy I can't keep it down, but I also get sick if I'm working out on an empty stomach. I read something about you wanting to provide your body with protein before and after a workout so that it burns fat not protein. Time of day also plays a part I'm sure. I workout in the mornings, so I'm getting up, getting dressed and going to the gym. If I don't snack before and after I won't eat until 11am.