Intermittent fasting and 1200 calories?

Options
Hi, I am 29, F, 150cm, 140 lbs. Want to lose 25/30 pound in about 6 months. My TDEE is 1519 right now, so in order to lose 25/30 pound in 6 months, I have to have a deficit 583 calories which puts me eating under 1200 calories. I am still thinking of eating 1200 calories and since it will be 300 calories less than my TDEE, I have to exercise to manage the 280 calories of deficit that I require to lose the desired pound in 6 months.

I know, dieting is not exactly as math and it will not work just as I expect when I cut down on my daily intake. But, I estimated my daily calorie intake by logging for the last 7 days and I eat about 2400 calories on days I am not even eating out. I don't know how to eat 1200 calories a day without IF.

Has anyone of you have experience in IF and 1200 calories diet, from which I can get ideas at least. I feel very lost.

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You have to have a scale. $14 on Amazon. Weigh everything. Start with 4 300 calorie meals. or 3 meals and 300 calories of snacks. Disregard nutrition. It doesn't matter in the short term unless your 1200 calories is all sugar or all fat.
  • shirazumdraws
    shirazumdraws Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can fill full with 300 calorie meal :(
  • Ssssss666666
    Ssssss666666 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Drink water before meals and between meals, makes all the difference.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    But, I estimated my daily calorie intake by logging for the last 7 days and I eat about 2400 calories on days I am not even eating out. I don't know how to eat 1200 calories a day without IF.

Has anyone of you have experience in IF and 1200 calories diet, from which I can get ideas at least. I feel very lost.

If your true TDEE was 1519 and you normally eat 2400+kcal you would be gaining about 1.7lb a week. Or 40lb over 6 months. Is that what is happening? TDEE calculators are estimates, your activity level is an estimate, even logging food with a food scale is an estimate (albeit the most accurate kind). The most relevant data you can get is from your own body so if I were you, I would cut 500kcal from your current intake, measure your body's response and go from there. Going straight from 2400 to 1200 is drastic, you won't enjoy it and you probably won't stick with it. If you don't lose or lose very slowly you can cut a bit more.

Also; Losing 30lb is 6 months is 20% of your bodyweight. That's also a bit drastic. You don't have a lot to lose and as a 158cm person I can tell you it shows pretty quickly at our size. Be reasonable with yourself here!

As for tips; you can get 3 decent meals for 1200kcal if you just eat a ton of vegetables. I get through about 600-750g of assorted veg per day, keep protein to chicken and fish and keep rice or pasta to small portions. I don't have 1200kcal days that often but my main 3 meals will be about there with snacks or treats on top to keep me sane.
  • shirazumdraws
    Options
    I did gain 22 pounds in about 10 months and then another 6 pounds in 3/4 months. But those 10 months were horrible. I drank excessively, binged on packets of chips, gallons of ice cream and take out every night, probably eating 4000/5000 calories a day. Last three months were not that bad, but I still eat very unhealthy with take out every other night and eating out and what not. Last 7 days is what I am eating home cooked meal of about 2200/2400 calories in which I have lost about 3 pounds but then again I think it's the water weight of not eating all those junk.
  • shirazumdraws
    Options
    I did gain 22 pounds in about 10 months and then another 6 pounds in 3/4 months. But those 10 months were horrible. I drank excessively, binged on packets of chips, gallons of ice cream and take out every night, probably eating 4000/5000 calories a day. Last three months were not that bad, but I still eat very unhealthy with take out every other night and eating out and what not. Last 7 days is what I am eating home cooked meal of about 2200/2400 calories in which I have lost about 3 pounds but then again I think it's the water weight of not eating all those junk.
  • Seabassx2
    Seabassx2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 29, F, 150cm, 140 lbs. Want to lose 25/30 pound in about 6 months. My TDEE is 1519 right now, so in order to lose 25/30 pound in 6 months, I have to have a deficit 583 calories which puts me eating under 1200 calories. I am still thinking of eating 1200 calories and since it will be 300 calories less than my TDEE, I have to exercise to manage the 280 calories of deficit that I require to lose the desired pound in 6 months.

I know, dieting is not exactly as math and it will not work just as I expect when I cut down on my daily intake. But, I estimated my daily calorie intake by logging for the last 7 days and I eat about 2400 calories on days I am not even eating out. I don't know how to eat 1200 calories a day without IF.

• bassetsue9
    bassetsue9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve been IF for a week lost 1lb but swinging between SW and Ww. With WW I’ve lost 42lb but got bored. My family suggested IF as they have all lost successfully. I’m now trying this App again as I know I need to be aware of my calorie intake again and know 1200 is good for me to lose any weight at all. I tend to keep my evening meal 500 looking for meals/recipes for that and fill out the day with rest. I’m doing 16:8.... between 10 am and 6 pm and I can manage that with my lifestyle. I would like to lose at least 1.5-2 Stone. My BMI is 30 so needs to be lower too
  • smiliekiwi
    smiliekiwi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I’m finding with IF I don’t tend to snack makes a big difference on the count
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can fill full with 300 calorie meal :(

That is because you haven’t really thought about it. You’re probably thinking of 300 calories as half a sandwich. But in my world, 300 calories is a big bowl of vegetable curry. Or roasted aubergines, chickpeas, and other veg with a lemon and garlic sauce. Or soup and a small roll. Heck, it’s twice my usual breakfast of a bowl of fruit and some yoghurt.

Do you really think you couldn’t feel full on those?