Is theresuch thing as "too much cardio"exercise?

Options
I finally feel like I'm addicted to
something that ISN'T bad for me,
but is there a limit I should set?

Replies

• PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    The only limit I set is when I feel I can't go anymore. Like running for example, I run every Saturday until I can't run anymore, or until my legs feel like they just don't want to move anymore. I would do this at least 5-6 days a week if time would allow. I think you do need at least one day of rest though.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    I read somewhere once that after an hour of cardio your body reaches maximum burn and anything after that isn't really doing much. I have no idea where I read it or if its true but I'm hoping it is because I'm lazy :laugh:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I finally feel like I'm addicted to
    something that ISN'T bad for me,
    but is there a limit I should set?

There is a point where you run the risk of injury, that's probably the limiting factor.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Main thing to remember is that most cardio puts a lot of extra wear and tear on your joints. You want to get enough, but going way overboard isn't good either. It helps if you're doing a lot of different activities so that you're not using the same muscles and joints in the exact same way for hours and hours.
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Outside of injury and not taking into account any other damage you might do because of overuse. If your body and mind are conditioned there is not limit for the average person. You can go and go and go and what will happen is mentally you will give up. It takes alot to be able to mentally press through none injury leg pain or lung and leg burn like they are on fire. Ask anyone that have ever taken on anything marathon or longer. There is a point that your body will shut down and just not move but most of us have never gotten anywhere near that point though we feel and think we have. :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate is 75% or above, glycogen is the first energy to be burned. Usually anything over an hour will then start catabolizing muscle. It's easier for the liver to convert amino acids to energy than fat, so this is usually the route it takes. If you look at a lot of long distance runner (long cardio) while their legs may look okay, their upper bodies normally are really lanky looking from loss of muscle.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters, Muscle Fatigue and Overuse is a problem. I'm of the More Intense - Less is more attitude. Weight training is just as important as cardio and should be skipped for cardio. I've loved adding yoga in for the stretching factor with cardio too.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Until your wife finds that the reason you run so much is because the hot young girl down the street runs the same route as you...on the same day. *Not my wife though***wink, wink*
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Chronic cardio can also cause your body to perceive the exercise as stress which activates cortisol which then turns on fat storage. I really want to turn mine off not on.:laugh: I do some at cardio level but then the rest low and slower to keep my heart rate in a comfortable range.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    oh party poopers who say don't do cardio for more than an hour. silly.

do what you enjoy with common sense. if it hurts, stop.

I dance 2.5-3.5 hours every Tuesday night, and that is after my 45 min. spin class in the morning. I ride my bike for 2-4 hours each time i ride it, and I have a century coming up when I will ride about 6-7 hours. If I'm hauling my paddleboard out to the ocean on a great day, you can be dang sure I'm not quitting in only an hour.

No, don't worry about your newfound love of cardio :)

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Chronic cardio can also cause your body to perceive the exercise as stress which activates cortisol which then turns on fat storage. I really want to turn mine off not on.:laugh: I do some at cardio level but then the rest low and slower to keep my heart rate in a comfortable range.

chronic cardio? huh?
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    If your heart rate is 75% or above, glycogen is the first energy to be burned. Usually anything over an hour will then start catabolizing muscle. It's easier for the liver to convert amino acids to energy than fat, so this is usually the route it takes. If you look at a lot of long distance runner (long cardio) while their legs may look okay, their upper bodies normally are really lanky looking from loss of muscle.

maybe -- perhaps they choose not to work their upper bodies because they prefer to focus on winning races. probably runners do not care what we think of their upper bodies. :wink:
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Main thing to remember is that most cardio puts a lot of extra wear and tear on your joints. You want to get enough, but going way overboard isn't good either. It helps if you're doing a lot of different activities so that you're not using the same muscles and joints in the exact same way for hours and hours.

swimming and cycling are excellent cardio activities that do not put wear and tear on joints.
  • JENIFER_AZ
    JENIFER_AZ Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Amen! I dance (Zumba) for over an hour (usually an hour and a half) daily with an active rest day weekly and my body is toned and I feel GREAT!!!

oh party poopers who say don't do cardio for more than an hour. silly.

do what you enjoy with common sense. if it hurts, stop.

I dance 2.5-3.5 hours every Tuesday night, and that is after my 45 min. spin class in the morning. I ride my bike for 2-4 hours each time i ride it, and I have a century coming up when I will ride about 6-7 hours. If I'm hauling my paddleboard out to the ocean on a great day, you can be dang sure I'm not quitting in only an hour.

No, don't worry about your newfound love of cardio :)

blessings.