For Those Curious about Tofu Shirataki Noodles

Options
birdielosingit
birdielosingit Posts: 34 Member
I tried the House Foods brand Tofu Shirataki Noodles- Fettucini shape last night. It was my first experience with the noodles. I am really glad that I read about them, because the smell is a little off-putting. But, if you follow the instructions, it DOES go away. I rinsed, rinsed, rinsed mine and then stir-fried (no oil or anything) them dry for a few minutes. I have been told that boiling them for 1 minute and then drying them will also kill the "natural odor". I found them to be a bit chewy, so I probably won't use the fettucini type noodles again until I am used to the texture. Overall, I think that they are a great pasta substitute if you are prepared for the differences in advance. My husband even enjoyed them and said he would eat them again!

Oh- I used them in my simple Chicken Spaghetti
1 can 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
4 oz Velveeta Cheese
6 oz Chicken Fajita meat (I use the pre-cooked and ready to go variety from the store)
2 Bags House Foods Tofu Shirataki Noodles

This makes 4 servings at approx 208 calories per serving. (Note:I may have used more or less chicken, I just used what was left in the bag.)

Heat up soup and velveeta in skillet. Stir occasionally until the two are mixed together. Add chicken (I chop mine up in food processor first) and pasta and heat through. Enjoy.

I have made many variations of the above using the low fat velveeta, adding onions, baking afterwards for a few minutes, etc, and they are all yummy. This is a recipe you can easily play with by adding veggies or using substitutes to reduce calories. :)

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I just tried these last night in a spaghetti dish, quorn meatless meatballs, tomato and alfredo sauce and cheese. I rinsed the noodles a lot and microwaved them for a minute. They were a great alternative, they are a little not chewy per se but definitely a little different from regular noodles. You do need a sauce or something on them. But I will definitely eat them again. Great for days when you ran out of dinner calories haha. They are ideal for chinese dishes but work ok for italian too.
  • scgma
    scgma Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    hmmm interesting..I love pasta!!!
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i also tried those noodles and was def put off by the smell. i tried to do everything it says on the bag and just couldnt forget that smell.. will try again next time i wont smell them first. they are a really great substitute, calorie wise..
  • jellycar
    jellycar Posts: 40
    Options
    I ADORE these noodles!! A HUGE serving of "pasta" for only 40 calories, what's not to love!
    I personally only find a slight difference in texture, but not really taste from actual pasta - so if people can get past that, I'd agree that they should be tried.

One of my favorite Shirataki recipe can be found here:
    http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/lisa-lillien/fettuccine-hungry-girlfredo-recipe/index.html

I like to double the sauce mixture and then add some roasted butternut squash cubes with carrots, onions and a bit of salt and pepper. Yummy!

Thanks for the post and the Recipe!
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I just rinse mine and squeeze all the water out of them with a paper towel. I never heat or cook them. I make the rest of my family wheat noodles, (I have four kids). I have my noodles and they have theirs and we all throw the same thing on top. I find they don't get chewy that way.
  • 4vhughes
    4vhughes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good to Know, I just bought some a few minutes ago to use in shrimp stir fry tonight. I will be sure not to smell them first now!
  • nurseaim
    nurseaim Posts: 146
    Options
    I love these noodles too. I'm a carb lover and they taste like spaghetti to me. I rinse them and dry them really well, then microwave for 2 mins with some Light Ragu and morning star crumbles. For me it tates just like spaghetti with meat sauce. BONUS: It's only 40 calories for one bag which for me is one serving size.:drinker: