What keeps you going when you lose motivation?

Options
Everyone mentions that their journeys are full of ups and downs but what keeps you motivated on your down days?
I’ve been on MFP now for 3 weeks and had my first fed up day with it yesterday.
I tried thinking of why I’m doing this, looked at old pictures of myself when I was slimmer that I want to get back to. But it’s just not doing it for me today.
Any tips or advice to push through this down spell?

Replies

• na1maharb4
    na1maharb4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My motto is "everyday is day 1". That means every day is just as important as the day you decided to lose weight.
    Also, a pair of "motivational jeans" keeps me going lol.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Every morning I read MFP comments, use the MFP calculator and get so much encouragement from MFP members. I prepare myself a simple daily meal plan and take it day by day, meal by meal. I know that I have got a long way in front of me but that does not worry me - one step at the time.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight before and then got fed up, given up, and gained it back with interest. What changed for me this time is that I realized the changes I'm making are for life. I couldn't keep doing what I was doing and yo-yoing. Eventually it always catches up with me. I decided to focus on my habits because I know the consequences if I don't.

My weight loss is slow, but there is a huge difference in how I feel now. When I have social events or other things that lead me to step off track, I am very confident that I'll get back on it, and I do. The more you practice the right habits, the easier they get until it becomes uncomfortable to eat unhealthy or skip exercise for any real length of time.

You're three weeks in. It will take discipline to make yourself get back on track. Do it even though you don't feel like it. It will get easier, and your future self will thank you.
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't really know I guess I just want this to work really bad this time around. I try to stay in a positive mindset about my journey. Lots of self reflection on what's going right. Even it's the smallest accomplishment I pat myself on the back. Lots of self love and forgiveness for anything I may have beaten myself up for in the past. My weightloss is only a small part. I want to be more active, feel better physically, emotionally and spiritually with myself. I didn't get this messy overnight so I know my transformer is probably gonna take even longer. But I'm ok with that. ❤❤
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Also I'm always looking to add more friends so please anyone feel free to add me.
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Seeing the weight I have managed to lose so far keeps me motivated. I have not lost as much weight this month as I did in January but I did lose my 1 pound a week so I know the calorie goal set by MFP is working.
  • amandamarisa3
    amandamarisa3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That sounds like hungry talk. If I’m struggling to eat healthy it is usually because my meals are not balanced. I usually need to make sure I am getting enough protein at meals. Eating healthy should feel good. If you are white knuckling it you will never stick with it. Also I might need to add a couple hundred calories to my day. Yes it will take longer to lose the weight but it’s better than quitting and going back to square one.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I don't rely on motiviation.

I rely on meal planning, having foods that fit my goal around me at all times, and at first in already measure portions if needed. some ready to go meals in the freezer for last minute emergencies.

I rely on including foods I LIKE and enjoy in my day to day diet.

I pre-log my days (and adjust as I go).

I don't chase a high rate of loss which can lead to binging/feeling starved.

If I have a craving, I fit it in (might take a few weeks but I get there) and that helps big time. I went thru a phase were I wanted fish and chips, so...I planned and then went out and had a great fish and chip dinner. Ditto with some other cravings. Some cravings I can fit in my daily calories (ex: at home pizza with my fav toppings) others I may eat maintenance that day or save a few hundred cals plus from previous days and skip snacks. There is a fresh pasta place I've wanted to try for months and likely will do so on Friday.

I DO eat chocolate daily cuz, I need chocolate.

This means I use my motiviation for social situations like stuff at work or walking by a treat I want in the street. I am more successful this way. not 100% but more so!
  • striving4moretoday
    Options
    discipline
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I remind myself skinny feels much better then binging on food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What are you fed up with exactly? How aggressive is your calorie deficit? When I started out, I started out aggressive and didn't last long and ultimately decided I was going to have a lot more sustained success with a smaller, 500 calorie deficit...that was pretty easily manageable and was the equivalent of cutting out a couple of snacks.

Food wise, people tend to have a really myopic view of what constitutes healthy eating and they end up eating really bland and boring food and eating the same things over and over...flavorless unseasoned chicken breast, steamed broccoli, endless salads...that would suck. Good nutrition doesn't have to be bland or boring.

Exercise wise, find something physically active that you enjoy doing. Personally, I love cycling and don't need too much motivation to get out on the road with my road bike or hit the trails with my CX bike on a nice afternoon/evening. No, it's not some hardcore rigorous workout...but it's good physical activity that keeps me healthy and fit. Exercise doesn't have to be a sufferfest.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You can't depend on feeling motivated. You have to be determined to keep at it, no matter how you feel. Feeling motivated is great, but it comes and goes.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    For me personally, it's not all about motivation or losing motivation; it's been about habit. Creating a routine and habits that I can get behind, so no matter whether the day be good, bad, or ugly - I've created strong habits and daily routine I naturally fall into regardless of circumstance.

• jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I always say Determination is greater than Motivation.
    I wake up everyday and get to the gym not because I'm on cloud 9 and feeling great and inspired about myself everything around me because, sometimes, it isn't great and I'm not inspired.
    But you still go. You make working out and eating well about the routine and the benefits and why you're doing it and not because you feel someway about it.
    Stop worrying about motivation and start doing things anyway. Build a routine. If this is important to you, make it important and give it importance in your life. Design your life around what you think is important.

Pretty soon, you'll see changes that you can look back on and that can be your reward in itself.

Just my $.02. Hope this helps and wish you all the best!