Net Carbs

Options
crob66
crob66 Posts: 5 Member
Is there a way to track net carbs vs. total carbs? Given that dietary fiber offsets a portion of total carbs it would be nice to if there was a way to show the offset.

Replies

• cags78
    cags78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is my biggest complaint with MyfitnessPal. It doesn't calculate Net Carbs but only total carbs. Throws my macros off. Is there a setting somewhere to change that?
  • crob66
    Options
    I've looked and I don't see one anywhere
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    crob66 wrote: »
    Is there a way to track net carbs vs. total carbs? Given that dietary fiber offsets a portion of total carbs it would be nice to if there was a way to show the offset.

Yes, you can switch out sodium or sugar for fiber and then just subtract the fiber in your head or note it in the notes box.

I did that when experimenting with very low carb, and prefer it to a "net carb" entry, as I think it's important to see fiber anyway. The reason MFP doesn't have a net carb setting where fiber can be automatically subtracted is that it would be seriously inaccurate given that database entries from outside of the US and Canada are already net carb, and so they would be subtracting fiber that was never included. Also, many entries might not have the fiber amount added or have been created to be net carb. If you look at both carbs and fiber there's less risk of using bad entries (although learning to pick the good entries is important).
  • crob66
    Options
    That was going to be my work around, thanks for the info
  • TheConsoleWars
    TheConsoleWars Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There's a simple workaround using a browser extension. The fact that some products may appear inaccurately is a ridiculous argument for not adding the option. Anyone can add any food with any values at any time. MFP is loaded with inaccurate results... allowing the tracking of net carbs should be an option we can opt in to or out of with a disclaimer that "this may not be accurate." but not allowing paying members to do it is ludicrous and is likely why Chronometer will be getting my money next month.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to an add-in that will show you net carbs in your food diary. I've been using it for over a year. Worked ok for me.

https://perfectketo.com/myfitnesspal-net-carbs/