Losing weight for future pregnancy.

Options
I have asked this question before but I'm going to ask again, because its on my mind and the more answers I can get the better this will be for me.

I'm in my mid 30's and I want to have more children (God willing). I have to lose 47lbs in order to be my ideal weight. However, my biological clock is ticking. I got pregnant pretty fast the first time with my daughter (6 years ago) but since then, I've had 2 m/cs. I know I can get pregnant. So, that has been solved. However, it takes me a little time. Doctors cannot find anything wrong with me or my hubby. So we are happy about that. BUT.............

My dilemma is that should I lose more weight (already lost 12lbs), get to ideal weight ad then try to get pregnant or keep trying for pregnancy anyways, while living healthy. It might even take me a while to get pregnant (possibly). I can't say. With age things change.

I'm just really stressing about this. My doctor said losing some weight can help, but she left it at that. She left it as my decision. The other thing is with both my m/cs I felt very unhealthy physically. Maybe that's a sign for me?

I would love to hear from those that have made decisions of weight loss and future pregnancies. I know Tami has suggested some stuff, would love to hear from other ladies.

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I have asked this question before but I'm going to ask again, because its on my mind and the more answers I can get the better this will be for me.

I'm in my mid 30's and I want to have more children (God willing). I have to lose 47lbs in order to be my ideal weight. However, my biological clock is ticking. I got pregnant pretty fast the first time with my daughter (6 years ago) but since then, I've had 2 m/cs. I know I can get pregnant. So, that has been solved. However, it takes me a little time. Doctors cannot find anything wrong with me or my hubby. So we are happy about that. BUT.............

My dilemma is that should I lose more weight (already lost 12lbs), get to ideal weight ad then try to get pregnant or keep trying for pregnancy anyways, while living healthy. It might even take me a while to get pregnant (possibly). I can't say. With age things change.

I'm just really stressing about this. My doctor said losing some weight can help, but she left it at that. She left it as my decision. The other thing is with both my m/cs I felt very unhealthy physically. Maybe that's a sign for me?

I would love to hear from those that have made decisions of weight loss and future pregnancies. I know Tami has suggested some stuff, would love to hear from other ladies.
  • persian_dancer
    Options
    I too am wanting to lose weight for my future pregnancies. I am a college student studying nursing at the moment and plan on becoming a certified nurse midwife. I figure if I can't have children then I want to be around as many babies as possible. My family has had a lot of trouble with getting pregnant or problems during pregnancy. I have 3 fibroid tumors they have been there for about 5 years now. I am hoping that with losing weight and keeping it off and generally becoming healthier that I will have an easier time getting pregnant, staying pregnant and eventually taking care of my future husband and children. I can't wait!

I'm really sorry about your miscarriages. I have heard that eating lots of dark green leafy things have more folic acid than you will ever get from a vitamin. That could help you especially before and during the first trimester. Usually once you get past the 1st trimester there isn't much that can cause a miscarriage other than problems with the genes. I hope this helps you and gives you motivation that other people are out there doing the same thing! ::hugs:: :smile:
  • beagle595
    Options
    Eat healthy, take your pre-nat vitamins... No caffeine, nicotine or alcohol... then continue with your exercise and let nature take its course. And calm down... reduce your stress , try to get your sleep and think positive.. You can also eat very healthy and exercise during your prenancy and only gain 20-35 lbs... My Doctor was always strict about that... Take care of yourself so you are well to carry that beautiful baby. My deepest condolences on your mc's.. God Bless!
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would keep trying. Why wait for that perfect weight, you know? This is a lifestyle change - there's nothing unhealthy about it and it's something you should continue if you get pregnant.

I know I had a lot of trouble getting pregnant when I was heavy. My cycles became further apart and my hormones (many of which are fat-soluble and rely on the amount of fat in your body to regulate themselves) couldn't work properly. It took us years to get pregnant when I was heavy.

I had a baby after losing 100 pounds though, and never felt healthier after she was born. I exercised every day right up until the day before she was born. My active labor was fast and the weight I gained dropped off easily.

Go for it!! Keep baby dancing!
  • jszevery
    Options
    Be careful. If you work out too much you may create irregular cycles, and delay getting pregnant.

You should just make a commitment to eat healthy foods now, all through your pregnancy and while you breastfeed. And the weight will come off naturally. This means resist the food cravings while you are pregnant, you are NOT eating for two!!!

I gave up all desserts for two years before my pregnancy. I wanted to create the healthiest condition for my baby's development. And while I was pregnant, I didn't crave anything. Because my body had all the nutrients it needed for the baby. After the baby, while I was breastfeeding, I lost two dress sizes. The whole time I ate healthy for my baby.

Now, after breastfeeding, I added the sweet things to my diet. And paying for it now. It's about being healthy, and eating all the good stuff, not about losing weight, and adding stress.

Hope this helps.
  • doodlebug
    doodlebug Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree with beagle595. Make healthy choices now and when the pregnancy happens continue those healthy choices. You will be more inclined to continue them after the baby is born. Also get your family involved in your healthy pregnancy to keep you accountable. Best of luck!!!
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Stay healthy but keep trying. You never know when nature will create that miracle!:smile: Since you're already on the road of health and weight loss, just continue your positive choices. And most of all, try to stay positive and relaxed- try meditation and yoga. The stress of trying to get pregnant can really get in the way!