Eating at night

I am eating 800 calories nightly just extra junk i dont even want.
How can i stop what are your tips.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Why? Are you hungry? Bored? Stressed out? Are you eating a very restrictive diet?
  • fitnatic130
    fitnatic130 Posts: 53 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Why? Are you hungry? Bored? Stressed out? Are you eating a very restrictive diet?

I dont know why i am not restricting too much i am eating 1600-1800 cals a day(before 6pm) No matter what i am doing i will just get the urge to eat usually starts with toast then chocolate, biscuits and somedays crisps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I eat dinner a little later...If I ate dinner by 6:00 and had another 3-4 hours on my hands I would struggle with snacking I'm sure. I get home and get on my bike and then it's time to do homework with the kids and whatnot and then dinner around 7:30/8 PM. I'm usually in bed by 9/9:30.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Maybe eating all your calories before 6PM isn't the right plan for you then?

I don't eat dinner until at least 6:30, and I always try to save 100-250 cals for an evening snack. I plan it, I eat it without guilt. If I'm still snacky, I'll drink some mint tea or diet soda. Then I brush my teeth.

Also try getting in the habit of logging your snacks before you sit down to eat them. Weigh out your portion, log it, then go sit down and enjoy it. Try to set up your environment so it takes effort to get more.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,370 Member
    Eat later and go to bed earlier was how I dealt with it. I'd rather be a little hungry mid-afternoon and then go to bed 1-2 hours after dinner.

The other thing I had to do was be very careful with the foods I had in the house, cookies and chips and those kinds of foods tend to make me want moremoremoremore even if I've had plenty of food. So I make my decisions at the store.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Best thing to stop: Do not bring junk i n the house. Remove the temptation from your environment.
  • fitnatic130
    fitnatic130 Posts: 53 Member
    jlynnm70 wrote: »
    Agreed - try to eat dinner a little later and allow for a small snack in the evening. I'd rather have allowed for that 150 calories and NOT eat it - than really want something and feel bad about eating later. I eat because I'm bored while watching TV -

Don't laugh - but I bought a color book and crayons and sit on the floor at the coffee table and color while watching TV.
    1. It's relaxing and reduces my stress
    2. It keeps my hand busy so I don't eat/snack as much and even my glass of wine lasts longer!
    3. I get to feel creative.

In the end - at least it slows me down!

The kids have a great colouring book i think i might borrow thanks for the tip

I will see if saving some calories helps thanks for the tips.
  • sandecarlo
    sandecarlo Posts: 1 Member
    I actually chew bubble gum when I get the urge to nibble...works for me!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,193 Member
    I sip warm water. Going back and forth to microwave it or add a dash of hot to keep off the cold gives me something to do.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    jlynnm70 wrote: »
    Agreed - try to eat dinner a little later and allow for a small snack in the evening. I'd rather have allowed for that 150 calories and NOT eat it - than really want something and feel bad about eating later. I eat because I'm bored while watching TV -

Don't laugh - but I bought a color book and crayons and sit on the floor at the coffee table and color while watching TV.
    1. It's relaxing and reduces my stress
    2. It keeps my hand busy so I don't eat/snack as much and even my glass of wine lasts longer!
    3. I get to feel creative.

In the end - at least it slows me down!

The kids have a great colouring book i think i might borrow thanks for the tip

I will see if saving some calories helps thanks for the tips.

Sometimes you just want to relax....so I don't want to say go exercise or go for a walk....sometimes you need down time too - but keeping my hands busy really does help!
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Also, play with your macros. I find that a high protein diet keeps me feeling fuller for longer.