quick Keto friendly snacks and meal

Options
Help!! I’m having trouble getting started on this Keto Diet! What are Keto friendly snacks and what does your menu consist of for a week including B, L and D? I’m not eating enough calories and too many carbs for the Keto plan according to MFP...Anything is appreciated!

Replies

• witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I’m not on keto personally, but would imagine there are food lists out there to give you an idea what to eat. Pick some options from the list that you enjoy, and go from there.

Is there a particular reason you’ve decided to follow keto? In terms of weight loss, calories are most important. That is, eating fewer calories than you burn.
  • kathrynluisa1
    kathrynluisa1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I have been on and off keto for many years. The best resources for keto I have found are Thomas Delaurer (you tube) and Leanne Vogel (healthfulpursuit.com) My favorite keto snacks are pork rinds, nuts (careful some are higher in carbs) seeds (sunflower seeds are my favorite) fat bombs (you can find tons of recipes online and even some candy recipes like those here: https://blog.bulletproof.com/keto-candy-recipes-3c3g4b4c4t4m/#) and epic bars and bites.

If you start with just fat bombs you will easily increase your calorie intake without increasing your carbs much if at all.
  • kathrynluisa1
    kathrynluisa1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also a typical menu on keto for me might look like this, I usually only eat one or two meals a day myself, but they tend to be large calorie dense meals:

Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, vegetables sauteed in coconut oil, butter or other fat of choice with avocado and possibly some kimchi.

Lunch: Salad with some sort of protein such as chicken, beef or pork, you can choose something leaner if you prefer to load up on other kinds of fats or want to control your fat intake a little more or you can choose a fatty cut of meat. I choose lower carb veggies for my salad. I dress my salad in a fatty dressing such as olive oil and vinegar or a cream based dressing that has no sugar in it. I may even throw some seeds or nuts on my salad. If you can consume dairy, cheese on your salad is always welcome. If I'm in the mood for something warmer I may opt for a creamy soup.

Dinner: I love salmon and fish of any kind, so I usually go for a grilled salmon, tuna salad or something along those lines served with veggies cooked in some form of fat.

Dessert (because I have an awful sweet tooth): Fat bombs are perfect for dessert since most are sweet recipes. There are also many keto friendly almond and/or coconut flour pastry desserts out there which are great with tea if you like your late night tea as much as I do.
  • sylvia3195
    sylvia3195 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’m not on keto personally, but would imagine there are food lists out there to give you an idea what to eat. Pick some options from the list that you enjoy, and go from there.

Is there a particular reason you’ve decided to follow keto? In terms of weight loss, calories are most important. That is, eating fewer calories than you burn.

• sylvia3195
    sylvia3195 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have heard so many good weight loss stories about Keto. It does seem much easier to just watch calories though...
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options

sylvia3195 wrote: »
    I have heard so many good weight loss stories about Keto. It does seem much easier to just watch calories though...

Are these long term success stories, or are they from people still in the honeymoon phase of their weight loss? Because you can lose weight with all sorts of plans, (CICO is the base for all of them), however the trick is to find a way of eating that you can do long term-past the relatively short period of weight loss.

If you enjoy eating low carb then keto may be a good fit for you. But, it doesn't do anything magical for weight loss-you still need to be at the correct calorie deficit for your weight management goals.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I guess it comes down to a couple questions:

1) Can you see yourself eating keto long-term (i.e. after you've lost the weight)?
    2) Are the foods on a keto diet foods you would enjoy, and not feel deprived?

For long term, sustainable weight loss, it's best to choose a plan that you can live with, not for a week, a month, 6 months, but for life. I'm losing weight slowly by logging my calories on MFP. There are no "good" or "bad" foods in my diet, but I do try to keep somewhat balanced. My calorie deficit is such that I'm satisfied with the food I'm eating and it doesn't feel painful for me, it just IS.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

For me, I'd always want to follow the plan that seemed easier. Life has enough hard stuff without voluntarily adding to the difficulty level, right?

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

For some it is easier to just watch calories. For others, like me, it's easier to not eat the starches and sugars and then I do not need to watch the calories because my appetite regulates it - I just eat when hungry.

I usually skip breakfast because I'm not hungry. When I do eat it is bacon and eggs. Most mornings is just a coffee with a bit of cream and maybe a small bit of protein powder.

Lunch is leftovers, or meats and cheese nowadays. I used to eat a lot of nuts or have veggies with dip too.

Dinner for most is meat with a side vegetable. Steak and salad. Taco meat with cheese, sourcream and vegetables, meatloaf and roasted veggies. Turkey and brussel sprouts with bacon.
  • tangwpoms8a
    tangwpoms8a Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with keto/low carb in the past (lost 16% of original body weight), and I have just started another round of keto recently. I find that when I am on keto I have less craving for snacks, in contrast to always being hungry when I am not on keto. Hearty meals that are filling can help you avoid the problem of looking for keto friendly snacks at all.

The main macromolecule I focus on eating is protein. On a good day I can consume over 130 grams of protein. So here are my go to meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Of course, what you eat is up to your personal preference and mine is tailored to my own tastes.

Breakfast: Usually I eat two or three eggs, and a cup of milk. (I'm not too strict on carbs, and can have up to 30-40 grams of carbs a day.) This is usually enough to fill me up (or at least tide me over till lunch).

Lunch: My lunch comes fairly early in the day (11:30 am), and I usually have some variant of a chicken dish with lots of cucumbers or broccoli to fill me up. On my past keto ventures I had a lot of cauliflower rice but I've gotten sick of it (I had too much of it.) :smiley: Both breakfast and lunch are to tide me over to the real meal of the day...dinner.

Dinner: I have protein. Lots of protein. I especially eat lots of salmon. Lots of salmon. Salmon is very filling and has lots of fats and proteins. Other types of protein would include pork or chicken. I usually pair this with some other kind of low carb vegetables. Another go-to is tofu, which I find delicious, and while it is not the most filling, it does provide a nice change in foods.

Snacks: While I don't snack too much on keto, some things that I do find good include stuff with cheese. I've made cheese chips in the past (they are high in calories and fat though), and they are a nice substitute for the real thing.

I hope this has helped you!
  • tangwpoms8a
    tangwpoms8a Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Many of my peers have told me this, but I feel that the challenging thing about watching calories is the mental control. I think that being more extreme in my dieting does help me keep my diet going longer, because just eating less gives me more chance of temptations, and I think it is pretty easy to cheat when "just watching calories". On keto, I have more motivation to stick to the diet, because it is a much greater difference between a regular-carb diet.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'm new to keto. Cheese sticks, sardines in oil, and various hunks of cheese and the occasional homemade 'fat bomb' are what I use when I want a snack. Oh, and the tiniest chocolate pieces for a snack, too. Today I've had 2 Hershey Drops and one dark chocolate square and I am at 4% carbs.
  • huggle1983
    huggle1983 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Breakfast-
    eggs, bacon, steak, omlette, starbucks bacon egg bites. Or almond milk unsweetened and diabetic granola.
    Lunch-
    chicken, steak, hamburger patties or salad grilled asparagus, broccoli, zuchinni, melted cheese and butter on the veggies. Mushroom soup, taco salad no tortilla, brisket with a green veggie
    Dinner-
    similar to lunch
    Sweet tooth-
    sugar free jello with sugar free whip cream, berries with sugar free whip cream. Lily's stevia sweetened chocolate. Stawberries dipped in Lily's chocolate. Halo top ice cream.
    Snacks-
    Mini bag popcorn depends upon popcorn and how many carbs I have had.
    Any nuts you want as long as they dont have sugar added, cheese, jerky no sugar added, pork rinds dipped in cheese sauce, pork rinds and guacamole, boiled eggs, deviled eggs, sausage, pickles, plain yogurt with berries and stevia