Over Fifty Fat & Trying to get Fit

Options
I started doing Keto Feb 4th 2019. So far I have lost 10 lbs.

I feel like I have been in denial for the past 5 yrs. I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 2, high blood pressure, mild congestive heart failure and I recently had 6 precancerous polyps removed from my colon. At the very least I have been living on borrowed time.

I used to be thin, active and pretty. Those days are gone. My world has gotten smaller as I have packed on the pounds. You eat, you gain weight and the weight makes your muscles hurt , your joints hurt, your back hurts, you do less, you gain more..... Its a vicious cycle.

Food has always been there for me. Always a comfort, a joy, a good time. I was recently telling my husband that I realize I have a truely screwed up relationship with food. I cant remember a time when I was eating to live. I lived to eat! I always considered food an EVENT. A GRAND event, and every day consisted of 3 grand events: breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I tried always to make the most of these events. While some people can grab a bite of whatever is left over in the cabinet- a crust of bread, a tomato, a slice of chicken. This wasn't good enough for me. I wanted GOOD food- ALL the time. I liked to eat out. I liked holidays, I LOVED sweets.
Its crazy. I finally realize how crazy it is. I have a great husband and a wonderful son. And someday I want to go to his wedding and see my grandchildren god willing.

I am here to make a good go of it. To stay encouraged and to lose weight and start living again!

Replies

• Foodforthought125
    Foodforthought125 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good for you, getting started! It's tough to change patterns of a lifetime, and usually takes something dramatic to point out the habits we've held on to that don't help us. I love food too, and it has been a constant lifelong struggle to keep that love in check. Food is probably our best and most consistent pleasure in life!

Be kind to yourself, a lifetime of habits will take some time to revamp. The biggest is to realize that the kindest thing you can do for yourself is self-care...

Good luck!!!
  • Camallis
    Camallis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You can do this. And as you do, the benefits will keep you going. It’s always a bit slow at first, but hang in there.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress so far!

It sounds like you are focused and up for the challenge. You CAN do it.

Best of luck to you!
  • smiliekiwi
    smiliekiwi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into Time Restricted Eating? You can still enjoy your food! And yes do it for your family.. you want to look awesome for future weddings, have energy for future grandchildren
  • Pgeman
    Pgeman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are determined
    Just say no to crap food...
    I lived for the stuff... chips cookies donuts
    All the crap...
    It’s just that...
    I took a deep breath looked at my big saggy gut and said you know what?
    I am tired of being a fat guy!
    No more crap...
    Stop fooling yourself...
    I have to just say no ...
    No to crap food...
    Veggies and lean meat are so much better
    Plus I joined a gym
    It’s up to Me to get to a manageable weight
    I said enuf is enuf dangit!
    340 and 6 ft is a big fat dude!
    So I am eating way better using the app
    And Exercising 20 minutes in the morning
    30 after work
    I need to feel better...
    Move anytime you can...
    Walk to the garage and back whatever gets you moving...
    It’s baby steps but move your butt...
    Lol I always wanted to be thin
    This time dangit I’m going to make it!!!
    Good Luck to you!
    Try to get a friend to help...
    Oh drink water...lots like 100 ounces a day
    Your kidneys are great fat burners too... piss it out
    It’s ok to have to go a bunch... it will flush all the crud out...
    You there!
    You CanDo this !!!
    God Help Us All