I keep saying I'll start today

Options
I've been trying to start back up these last 2 or so weeks but im finding my cravings to be too much. I've gone on "weight loss journeys" before and on not sure why this time seems so much harder. Any advice?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to start back up these last 2 or so weeks but im finding my cravings to be too much. I've gone on "weight loss journeys" before and on not sure why this time seems so much harder. Any advice?

What are you doing that's so hard to start?
  • snowstormy8
    snowstormy8 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's hard to start not giving into cravings and to get out and be active! It can be so easy to stay home and do work on the laptop with snacks always in hand.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Are you able to eat a little bit less of what you are craving and take a 2 minute walk a day? It doesn't have to be full force dieting, you could start with the amount of work you're guaranteed to be able to do every single day and build on it. It's tempting to feel like tiny changes won't make a difference and that you want to lose weight as soon as possible, but these small changes that gradually build up get you closer to your goal weight than failing to start.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Whenever I struggle to get back into the routine like you are describing, I will start by just logging my food. I won't focus on eating in a deficit, cutting anything back or out completely, or adding exercise. I will just focus on logging everything I eat for a week/couple weeks/month. That usually triggers me to start reducing calories to be in a deficit.

Great idea - to start with good to look at the food eaten. From there changes - big and small - can be made.
  • Celia0909
    Celia0909 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I listened to a podcast on this. That most folks number 1 issue with finally losing weight is this type of delay. You get good at what you practice, so you’ve got to find it within you to start practicing eating well and taking care of yourself.
  • welshsarah13
    welshsarah13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Whenever I struggle to get back into the routine like you are describing, I will start by just logging my food. I won't focus on eating in a deficit, cutting anything back or out completely, or adding exercise. I will just focus on logging everything I eat for a week/couple weeks/month. That usually triggers me to start reducing calories to be in a deficit.

great advice. this is what i do. iv started logging again today. 2 years post baby... need to lose the weight now
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It's hard to start not giving into cravings and to get out and be active! It can be so easy to stay home and do work on the laptop with snacks always in hand.

So you don't HAVE to give up treats, and you don't HAVE to get out and be active. So why don't you start super small?

Just start logging your food. Whatever you eat, log it before you eat it. Be mindful about it, but if you want a cookie, have a cookie. Start looking at your food log as data - analyze it. Where are you wasting calories? What times of day are the most dangerous and might be the best place to strategize? On days where your calories are good, what did you eat?

I lost weight eating pizza once a week, fast food once a week, and an evening snack every night of either Oreos, kids cereal, or ice cream. Obviously, you don't want all your calories to come from treats, but there's no reason you can't fit some in around a balanced diet.

As far as exercise, it's good for you and can certainly help with weight loss, but it's not necessary. Again, start with something small - take a 15 minute walk after dinner every night.

It's better to do the bare minimum every day, than to do nothing while thinking about doing everything. Baby steps still count, as long as they are moving in the right direction. No one who has succeeded in losing weight did everything perfectly. Literally no one.