5000 Calories A Week Challenge

Options
I'm Trying To Burn At Least 5000 Calories A Week. That's My New Challenge Who's With Me???

Replies

• ASaxe23
    ASaxe23 Posts: 163
    Options
    that's a hardcore challenge....I might be interested but wow!! How are you going to do it? What program will you use?
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MzProdigy91
    MzProdigy91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's nothing special just on a stair machine 4 at least an hour a day that's more than 1000 calories burn doin that
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Wow! That seems very ambitious!

I would estimate that I am burning something ine the area of 4K per week.

I do not think that I am ready for a 5K week, yet.

Good Luck!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    5,000 exercise calories?

That is a huge amount, given that you need rest days that's 1000 calories a day. Maybe that is possible for someone taller or carrying a lot of weight, but for someone my size even heavy exercise such as zumba burns only 250 to 350 calories an hour. I could burn maybe 700 calories on a very long hike on a day I wasn't working, but that's not possible on work days.

Good luck finding people who are able to take this on.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    It's nothing special just on a stair machine 4 at least an hour a day that's more than 1000 calories burn doin that
    I seriously doubt that figure is correct.
  • MzProdigy91
    Options
    Well I think it's possible cause when I put 70 mins of ellipitical trainer it shows me 1067 calories burned so I'm guessing it's pretty accerated
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Do you use a heart rate monitor? I know that before I had one and I used MFP's estimation for calories burned that it was always way too high. MFP had said I was burning 700 - 800 calories or more when I jog for 40 minutes, but once I got a heart rate monitor it showed me that I was really only burning about 400 calories. Also, remember that if you do burn 1000 calories you want to make sure that you eat most of those calories back so that you're giving your body enough fuel for those big workouts and you're not starving yourself.

Good luck!
  • MzProdigy91
    Options
    I ingest at least 1200 calories a day burn at least more than half that & I don't do the full hour all at once. I break It up so I won't burn myself out. Some people might say it's impossible but if you are focus and devote you can get it done.
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I like to break my workouts up like that too, one in the morning and one at night. That helps me get more done.

Be careful on the food thing....a general recommendation for women trying to lose weight is to make sure to eat at least 1200 calories if you're not exercising at all, but more than that if you are exercising. If you eat too few calories then your body will start burning muscle instead of fat to fuel those workouts -- not only will you lose muscle, but any weight loss you might have will be hard to maintain.

Here's a calorie calculator someone sent me to help figure out how many calories I should eat per day:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

That helped me out....I've actually found that when I eat too few calories my weight loss is super slow, but after I used that calculator and bumped my calories up I started having great weekly losses.

Hope that helps! Great job on all the exercising!
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you truly want to put in the effort to burn 5000 calories a week you need to try and determine to the best of your ability how many calories you burn. Stair steppers at a light effort but less calories than running, at a medium to hard effort approach the calories in running and at a hard+ effort burn more. The efforts are based on speed not on how hard you feel it is. Now running where you are actually running (jumping from foot to foot) burn the same amount of calories per mile no matter the speed based roughly on your body weight. No stir into the mix you are going to burn x amount of calories doing nothing for that same hour so you need to subtract that number from the closer to real total number to get net calories burned for that same hour. For running that number works out to approx .63Xbody wieght in pounds. So as an example:

200 lb x .63 = 126 calories per mile about as true as you can get for calories burned. So if a 200 lb runner went 5 miles they are going to burn 630 calories. Doesnt matter if it took 30 minutes or 1 hour.

Lets even assume you were working out at the same calorie burn as our running at 5 miles in 60 is a pretty fair number for many runners on this site. It would take very close to 8 hours.

100 lb x .63 = 63 calories for the same mile. Same 100 lb runner would have to double distance to equal same calorie burn. So now we are looking at 16 hours on the stair machine for the same 5000 calories.

Now i am all for you wanting to do it and setting the goal of doing but lets be realistic about it. At my current weight i would have to run 43 miles a week. I will have to figure out biking calories burned the best i can because 43 in my return is currently a bit much but i could pull off 25 -30 and fit in biking.