Newbie here

Options
I would love to have some support and people to motivate me... all help welcomed

Replies

• zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it, you can do it. Be kind with yourself and celebrate every teeny tiny victory - whether its weight loss, staying within your calories, having gone to the gym - it adds up.

I don’t know what you need, so if the below is redundant or insulting I apologize in advance.

Calories in, calories out. It’s that simple. Food is food - you need to find the eating style that works for you. The best eating plan is the one you’ll stick to - it’s cliche but it’s true. And weigh EVERYTHING. It gets easier as you go, and it really does make a difference.

If you have an off day or week that’s fine, we’re human and life is life - just get back on track the next meal/day/week. Do not beat yourself up for it. I lost 40lbs, then stopped tracking and gained 15 back. So now I’m here starting again, but that’s ok. I didn’t gain it all back, so that’s a small victory I’m celebrating - I have maintained a 25lb weight loss. Perspective is everything.

I don’t know your specifics, but generally the process is slow and steady (Max 2lb loss per week, but more likely 0.5-1lb). As long as the scale is moving down, or staying put, you’re on the right track.

Find people in your life who are supportive. Even if they aren’t trying to lose weight, having some allies and support is really helpful - someone who will be glad going to a healthy restaurant instead of a fast food place, who will make sure there are healthy options if they have you over things like that. And who you can vent to or celebrate tiny victories with.

Finally, a lot of people have very specific ideas of how you should eat - keto, paleo, macros instead of calories, etc. Do what will work for you, and never let anyone pressure you into eating a certain way (except your MD). What works for one is completely unrealistic for another.

Finally, there’s likely a thread (or a few) with all people in the similar boat. Start commenting on it/join in. It will help.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,371 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the March 2019 UAC group

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/131420-ultimate-accountability-challenge-march-2019

It is a great place to develop self-awareness / accountably habits and shift yourself towards a new sustainable lifestyle. Works no matter what your food plan, exercise strategy, or where you are on your journey (everyone from just starting to nearing goal weight to maintaining for years now)

We have a raft of brand new members also starting this month, a crew that are only on their second or third month with us, and more than enough olde-timers like me who can guide you through your transition period.

Hope to see you there.
  • xxxMADMAXxxx
    xxxMADMAXxxx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hey, alybrice.
    Feel free to add me if you like. I am new to this whole thing too.

I signed up last week and have been keeping track faithfully since then- and enjoying it too!
    I am not sure if I am doing things totally right... for the first time, I am not restricting myself from any foods- only how much of it I can eat, according to how many calories I have left.

Most of the time I eat salads, a little fruit and some protein, but I eat more for dinner. Last night I had pizza and salad, the other night I had nachos, last weekend I actually had icecreame.
    Yet, I already fit my clothes better, my energy level is up, I can see my cheekbones, my jawline is more defined, and my family is already commenting on how good I look.

Again, I am not sure if you should take any motivation or cues from me, since I am a total newbie, but I am actually seeing results- crazy!

My biggest motivations are an amped-up energy level and music that drenches my world in swag. For me, attitude is everything. If I feel chained or restricted, I loose motivation fast. I never thought keeping track of calories would actually be freeing.

If you need support for exercising or adding in those numbers, you can count me in! For dietary advice? Probably not the best one to look to.