Eatinh too many calories

Options
Struggling with sticking to my calorie deficit. I cant seem to stop eating way beyond what I need to be. Anyone else struggle because of this? If so, any pointers? Also having a hard time making myself go to the gym.. #starving #stress eater

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Only you know whether you're ready to make the changes in habit that will result in weight loss, or ready to make them now. Your call. (Sooo worth it, though!)

Eating: Figure out what fills you up, on lower calories. It differs by person (protein, fats, complex carbs like potatoes, low cal/high fiber veggies, specific foods: figure it out). Even when you eat what may matter: At the extremes, slow all-day mini-graze to one meal a day (OMAD) intermittent fasting, or something in between.

Exercise is optional for weight loss (sensible calories is enough), but exercise lets you eat more, and fitness is a wonderful thing on its own. It feels great to be strong and able to do what you want in daily life! The magic is to find some way of moving more that is so fun you'd do it even if it weren't good for you. There are a million possibilities: Games like Zombies Run or Pokemon Go or dance video games, group classes, nature walks, cycling, skating, dancing in clubs, running, rowing, group classes, weight training, martial arts, two dozen kinds of dance lessons (tap, modern, square, Irish, ballet, pole . . . .), and many, many more.

No one else knows your personal answers . . . just you.

Best wishes!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie allowance, how much are you eating a day now. and what have you set your target loss per week to?

It's hard to give you a full answer until I know more, but it's possible you are setting your goal too aggressive, and in trying to meet that, you are making yourself too hungry which leads to binges. Maybe setting a more moderate goal would allow you to eat enough to prevent the hunger, without leading to binges.

Excerise is a great thing because it gives you more calories to eat while still hitting your goal. But exercise doesn't have to mean going to the gym. If the gym is not your thing, there is still a lot of ways to get exercise. Ann had some good suggestions.
  • resale3108
    resale3108 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Provided you are actually not following 1200cals a day, YOU have to take charge and decide if you want to eat over your cals or not.
    Coping strategies, during the day have lots of raw crispy veg to hand, sugar snap peas, carrot, broccoli stems, whatever you like. Have lots of water throughout the day - cos it os healthy for you anyway, - and after your last meal of the day, brush your teeth. And if you have an urge for a late night snack, ask yourself " who's in charge? The overweight person i am now and dont want to be, or the thinner healthier person i want to be?" And ask it out loud.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    What is your height, current weight, and calorie goal? It is possible your calorie goal is too low.

I agree with Ann's suggestion to figure what helps you feel full. For me it is more protein and fat, not carbs. Some people find that eating lower calorie foods in high volume is more satisfying.

Drinking water or other liquids can help. You be surprised how easy it is to confuse thirst with hunger sometimes.

Pre-logging your day/meals can be a helpful trick to discourage too much snacking or overeating.

If the hunger is emotional, you need to work on finding other methods of dealing with emotions or distracting yourself. Frequent suggestions include exercise, meditation, and hobbies that keep your hands busy such as crafting.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    You don't give us any information and your FOOD diary is closed.

Would you open your diary so we can help you troubleshoot?

Food >settings, scroll down, click Public and save

Also, what is your calorie goal? How much weight do you need to lose to get to your healthy BMI range?

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Within a week of seeing a therapist for the first time I stopped emotional eating 🙌
    Just my experience
    And things have been amazing since!

Eating high fiber foods (cawliflower rice, homemade vegetable based soups, etc...) usually they’re low calorie, filling, and I’m able to eat a lot and stay within my calories for the day.

I stopped eating processed sugary foods and foods I know I can’t eat in moderation - once I have one cookie or a couple of chips, I know I’m going to eat wayyy more of them. So it’s better if I don’t even start
    After a few weeks of not eating those foods I stopped craving them! (Yay!)

I do try to make healthier cookies with stevia instead of sugar and gluten free (they’re delicious and less addictive so I can stop at 1 or 2)

Good luck! You got this!