Deciding Which Race(s) to Run

Options
I have signed up for my first 5k, which is in about 2 weeks. But for those of you who've run for a while, how do you choose which races to run? There are 5 races within 10 miles of me within Septemeber and October, and if I expand my search to metro Atlanta, I'm sure I'd find no less than 25 races for the same period. Since I'm a running noob, still doing plenty of walking during my 5K practice runs, so should I be focusing on smaller, less-prominant runs with a smaller runner pool, or is a race a race?

Just curious for your thoughts! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• birdtys
    birdtys Posts: 3
    Options
    If it is your 1st one I'd go with something fun or for a cause that you believe in. I'm runnung my 1st 5k which is a mud run.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I am interested to know this as well. I get kind of overwhelmed by looking at the available races. I am going to be out of town on vacation at about the time I will be ready to compete in my first 5k - I have been looking at everywhere between Chattanooga, TN; Atlanta, GA; Savannah, GA; and Jacksonville, FL trying to narrow down a race.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've only done one 5k race so far and there were about 2500 runners. The next one I am doing has a cap at like 250! I am a little skeeved out about the small number! A race is a race though. Go out there and have fun!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I generally shoot for one per month or one per every two months. We get a break on races around here during the months of December - March because there is usually too much snow for a good road race. Usually the busy months are April-June, and during that time I might do two per month, depending on how much money I have available and how ambitious I feel. lol

(Forgot to add part two, how do you choose? I have squirrel syndrome today, I swear! lol)

Usually I choose the runs that support a cause I am passionate about. The Race for the Cure for the Susan G Komen Foundation in May. The Kalamazoo Klassic in June because it's fun to participate in a 5k that goes through your own neighborhood. Also did the Cheetah Chase one year that supports our local zoo and it was too hard so I've not done it since! lol. It's about what appeals to you. A race is pretty much a race, whether there's 200 people or 2000 people. :)
  • arl1997
    arl1997 Posts: 8
    Options
    I run in the Atlanta metro area, mostly north suburbs stuff. There are lots of ways to choose. It kinda depends on your purpose.
    Since you are new to running, perhaps you want a smaller race. You can loook at last year's results to see about how many people ran it last year. You can also use these statistics to see if there are a lot of people who are around your pace or your age or whatever if that is important to you.
    If you have a specific charity you would like to support you can see if they have a race.
    If you are running next year I would suggest training for the peachtree road race. If you can handle crowds it is a lot of fun. I did it this year for the first year and it was loads of fun. The miles flew by because I was watching all of the people and goings on.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    The energy of the bigger races are REALLY fun. The runner pool shouldn't really matter since you aren't trying to place, I wouldn't think....

When it comes down to it, a race is a race. However, the bigger races usually have more support, better facilities and often better organization. Although, the last point is def. not always the case.

Either way, HAVE FUN!
  • JennysMan
    Options
    Thanks folks...sounds like fun and I'll not worry so much about the specific race.

But a bit more about why I ask the question....my first race is on a Thursday evening after Labor Day (KP Corporate Run by Turner Field). I signed up for it because my company is participating, and heck...I just chose it...lol! However, there is a Labor Day weekend race on Saturday that is local in my home town in the areas where my family and I hang out a lot. It just seems like it would be fun to run a local race in my city. I didn't know if 2 races within a week was too much, especially for me, Mr. Noob! :)
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I don't think it'll be a problem if you are sure to get rest in between. Make sure to take a full day off of exercise on Sunday and then maybe run a shorter training run (like 1-2 miles) on Tuesday. Then proceed with training as usual. :)