Need advice on exercise

Options
Can anyone give me advice about starting a new exercise program. I’m 5 foot 192 trying to get to 150. How much cardio is needed for weight loss? That’s my number one goal. Thank you

Replies

• Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Zero cardio needed for weight loss.

Just eat less. Measure how many calories you burn ... measure you food.

Eat less than you burn.
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am sure you will get some great advice on what to do exercise-wise.

My only suggestion is, if you have not exercised in a good long while, ease into it over a couple of weeks or so. You don't want to get so sore following your first few workouts that you give up.

You also might want to provide a bit more info. Do you have a gym membership? exercise equipment at home? physical limitations? etc.
  • sexyw4kidz
    sexyw4kidz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to mix up my exercises weekly. I'm a member to a local gym and enjoy workout classes. Barre, yoga, Pilates, Zumba, and boot camp are some of the classes I do weekly. I think low intensity is just as important as high intensity ... good luck & experiment with what works best for you. If you like the exercise you'll be more likely to stick with it.
  • jenniferanderson3888
    Options
    I will have a gym membership no limitations
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You don't need any exercise for weight loss, you need a calorie deficit. Get a food scale and start weighing everything you eat and logging it accurately.

Check this out:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I'm 5'2" and went from 182 to 133, the first 25 pounds of that was no extra exercise, just a calorie deficit. It really works if you stick with it!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Can anyone give me advice about starting a new exercise program. I’m 5 foot 192 trying to get to 150. How much cardio is needed for weight loss? That’s my number one goal. Thank you

Exercise can help give you a few extra calories to work with, but relying on exercise for weight loss can be a mistake. It can mess with your appetite, and it's really hard to pin down how many calories you are burning. Lots of folks kill themselves in the gym and don't lose weight, because they think they are burning a zillion calories so they don't have to worry about how much they're eating.

Focus on your diet for weight loss. Exercise for health and fitness. Cardio can buy you some extra calories. Strength training can help preserve your muscle as you lose weight and can really help with your physique. Stretching and balance work is great to keep you limber for the cardio and strength training :smile:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You will lose on average about a pound a week if you have a total weekly deficit of 3500 calories if you exercise or not. It's all relative to your TDEE.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Cardio is great for your cardiovascular health and fitness; however, it is not required to lose weight (I wouldn't recommend going that route). Cardio can help you more easily maintain a calorie deficit, but the calories your burn with exercise are typically rather minuscule relative to the calories you burn merely existing and going about your day to day.

AHA recommendations...

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/fitness/fitness-basics/aha-recs-for-physical-activity-in-adults
    Recommendations for Adults
    Get at least 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity or 75 minutes per week of vigorous aerobic activity, or a combination of both, preferably spread throughout the week.

Add moderate- to high-intensity muscle-strengthening activity (such as resistance or weights) on at least 2 days per week.

Spend less time sitting. Even light-intensity activity can offset some of the risks of being sedentary.

Gain even more benefits by being active at least 300 minutes (5 hours) per week.

Increase amount and intensity gradually over time.

Walking is a great place for many people to start, particularly if they haven't been involved in much physical activity. It'll get you body used to moving more and is considered a moderate exercise by the AHA. It is low impact and most people I know enjoy a good walk so it's an easy routine to get started with and stick to vs commuting to a gym everyday and getting on some stationary machine.

From there you can identify other physical activities you might want to get involved in. I started out just walking and ultimately became a cycling enthusiast. I spend very little time in a gym...just a couple days per week for weight lifting and prefer to be out on my road bike or hitting the trails on my CX bike. I also enjoy rock climbing, hiking, and swimming. Most of my exercise is simply recreational activity that I enjoy.

If you're going to a gym I highly recommend at least a couple of days of resistance training. A good full body program can be done in 30-45 minutes a couple days per week. This also fits in with the AHA recommendations. I am personally not a fan of stationary cardio...I do it sometimes when the weather is too bad to be outside, but I do it at home on my indoor bike trainer as it is far more convenient.