Total Body Lift Routine vs. Splits

So I've been lifting 3 times a week (and doing cardio twice), but I'm not sure I'm seeing the results I want. I do a total body routine when I lift, but am thinking about doing two upper body days and two lower body days. There is so much info out there that it's overwhelming. My goal is to get a bit more definition, and I'm not sure that's happening with what I'm doing now. Any thoughts on what works best? (and I know, not every routine is the "best", but I'm just looking for some feedback/experiences).

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    how long have you been following the programme?

what results do you want?
  • loggingmacros
    loggingmacros Posts: 4 Member
    @TavistockToad - I've been doing this routine for about 6 months. Before that I was doing one muscle group per day (back day, leg day, etc.). I went back to doing total body because I saw results that way - just more arm and quad definition, but for some reason it's not working this time. I'm a 42 year old gal, so I know things change over time. I'm just wondering what people think of the upper/lower split instead of the full body.
  • TavistockToad
    @TavistockToad - I've been doing this routine for about 6 months. Before that I was doing one muscle group per day (back day, leg day, etc.). I went back to doing total body because I saw results that way - just more arm and quad definition, but for some reason it's not working this time. I'm a 42 year old gal, so I know things change over time. I'm just wondering what people think of the upper/lower split instead of the full body.

are you tracking your calorie intake?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited February 2019
    Either can work, if they are good programs designed by a pro (many programs aren't) and you lift heavy enough. Looking "defined" is mostly about reducing bodyfat, by eating fewer calories than you burn, which is why full body vs. split doesn't make much of a difference.

If you have more Qs, state the program you're on.
  • loggingmacros
    I'm following a program I found on Bodybuilding.com - before you had to pay. I can't remember the guy's name. And yes, I'm tracking my macros and calorie intake.
  • TavistockToad
    I'm following a program I found on Bodybuilding.com - before you had to pay. I can't remember the guy's name. And yes, I'm tracking my macros and calorie intake.

so you're eating in a deficit?

how much have your lifts improved over the 6 months?
  • loggingmacros

so you're eating in a deficit?

how much have your lifts improved over the 6 months?

Yes and yes.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I do a full body 3 day because my schedule doesn't allow me to drive to the gym 4 or more days a week. I drive to this particular gym because of their childcare. When my kids are bigger I may join a closer gym or workout at night after my husband gets home or something, but for now when the kids are with me 3 is all I can do. That is the determining factor for me.

It sounds like you are already at the gym 5 days a week, so that wouldn't matter for you. You'd have to give more information really.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I like upper/lower and do that most of the year. I spend 60-75 min on each session. I use a program from Andy Baker called Strength and Mass Over 40 (made a few customizations.)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2019

Can you show the program and give some info of how you are progressing with a timeline? I'd be surprised if any program was working on all cylinders after six months.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    I can recommend the book 'Women's Strength Training Anatomy-Workouts' by Frederic Delavier.

You can find some bargains in VGC used on ebay. Aside from the fabulous illustrations and the comprehensive descriptions of exercises, and how to perform them correctly, it also contains information on how to design and plan a personal training program. There is some advise, regarding the hows and whys of splits vs. full-body workouts, depending on your training level, goals, time management...etc..

The book also contains training programs for beginner to advanced lifters, and ciruit training.

I just received the book in the mail this week, and I find it a very interesting read, even for someone without experience in building a program.

Best of luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Personally, I'm a full body workout guy and have seen great results over the years. I don't have the time or passion for lifting to do bro splits, plus I'm not a bodybuilder or power lifter so I don't need that kind of volume. Regardless of split or full body, you do need to switch up your programming from time to time...6 months is a long time to run a particular program without switching things up. I mostly do that by changing set and rep schemes and maybe swapping out a few lifts for different but similar ones.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    I enjoy my full body workout 3 days a week. On my off days, I throw in all kinds of different things.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I did full body my first 6ish months of lifting and had great progress/results. After that I switched to an upper/lower split and I much prefer that routine. I have tried full body routines here and there and I just don't recover well from them. I like to change things up frequently so I find with my upper/lower split I keep the main lifts the same but switch up the secondary and accessory lifts every 4-6 weeks. I may give PPL a try next time I'm feeling bored.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited March 2019
    I take an intuitive approach to my fitness training focusing on strength endurance and cardiovascular conditioning, rather than hypertrophy with a particular body appearance in mind. This works for me at age 64. What I've learned is that by chasing athleticism, my body appearance will improve by tagging along for the ride. Kettlebells are my primary training implement and I don't belong to a gym although I generally have in years' past.

So, by intuitive training, I take each day not exactly knowing what I'll do other than whatever it is, it'll be done with intensity and challenge. I do have certain ideas in mind that are part of my fitness training curriculum. And, I know that I'll need to cover the whole gamut of my body over a training week or two. Intuitively, if I've blasted my shoulder and back muscles one workout and have DOMS the next training day, I'll work my lower body muscles.

This works for me at this chapter in my life. Ain't going to win the arms contest in a muscle flexing line-up but more than likely I'll beat most in a race up a skyscraper flight of stairs.

To each their own, it's all good; we just got to show up and do it.