Diet Coke and Fluid Retention

Options
I'm having fluid retention issues and I don't think my diet coke habit is helping but I've given up so much else! I've always had tendency to puffy ankles but it is getting worse. Even the diuretic the Dr. gave me doesn't help that much. She says to keep the sodium under 2000, which it is unless I eat out.

The diet coke doesn't have that much soduim (40miligrams a can) and I can keep it down to 2 cans but I think I heard/read somewhere that it is the phosphates that make it worse. I do notice I retain more when drinking diet coke.

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of diet coke. At least 4 cans a day.

At least there are no calories.
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I always weigh in more when I drink diet coke but like you It is the only thing I haven't given up. I do try and drink more water to counter act it however b/c I have had kidney stones.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    The phosphates in Coca cola products leach calcium from your system. They're awful. I've also heard (but can't confirm) that carbonation is difficult for your body to digest.

It's not helping with the bloating. It's not real food. There's not really anything in soda that your body recognizes as real food. It's 12 oz. of artificial stuff which really doesn't do anything for you.

If you've cut out so much already, it's because the things you eliminated weren't healthy for you. They don't do anything for your body to make you feel better or healthy. Cut this out too. Get rid of the addiction to DC.

Your body will thank you, I promise.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    No calories, but cleans coins and rots meat! carbonated causes bloating and if with caffeine can cause headaches. Tyr to find another drink ...maybe water? Try to replace it a little at a time if you need you cola fix
  • caitlin70433
    Options
    I always weigh in more when I drink diet coke but like you It is the only thing I haven't given up. I do try and drink more water to counter act it however b/c I have had kidney stones.

Yeah, lz, that used to work pretty well for me but it has just gotten so much worse this summer.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    How many pounds can you lose by NOT drinking diet soda?

My advice is to try seltzer or some of the natural sodas instead of pouring chemicals made in a lab into your body every day. Some of the natural sodas are actually REALLY tasty and low calorie (like 12 calories or something). Check them out!

Here you go:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/206171-how-many-pounds-can-you-lose-by-not-drinking-soda/
  • change_happens
    Options
    I'm having fluid retention issues and I don't think my diet coke habit is helping but I've given up so much else! I've always had tendency to puffy ankles but it is getting worse. Even the diuretic the Dr. gave me doesn't help that much. She says to keep the sodium under 2000, which it is unless I eat out.

The diet coke doesn't have that much soduim (40miligrams a can) and I can keep it down to 2 cans but I think I heard/read somewhere that it is the phosphates that make it worse. I do notice I retain more when drinking diet coke.

I exerience bloating after drinking diet pepsi.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I think life is too short to give up absolutely everything. For some it might be cookies, others it might be booze, and in this case its diet soda.

I drink it and im very healthy :] I do retain water too so i slowly cut down. And I mean VERY slow. I drink one about every couple of days now. Just takes a while :]
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I was a Diet Cokeaholic! I have pretty much cut it out unless we are out somewhere...since I have stopped drinking it at home i have begun to lose weight....now i grab a bottle of water instead and use Hansen's fruit sticks which have no aspertame.
  • caitlin70433
    Options
    I think life is too short to give up absolutely everything. For some it might be cookies, others it might be booze, and in this case its diet soda.

I drink it and im very healthy :] I do retain water too so i slowly cut down. And I mean VERY slow. I drink one about every couple of days now. Just takes a while :]

Thanks Sunshine. Sometimes I use a diet coke to replace the need to eat a calorie-snack that I can't "afford." The carbonation makes me feel full. I don't drink it on the weekends unless I'm eating out. I use seltzer water and splenda-sweetened italian syrup drinks if I want something carbonated when I'm at home.
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Wal-Mart brand golden peach flavored water...however, it's carbonated. I don't know if switching to something like that would help you or harm you (if so uh-oh to me too!)

Just my thoughts. :)
  • caitlin70433
    Options
    I LOVE the Wal-Mart brand golden peach flavored water...however, it's carbonated. I don't know if switching to something like that would help you or harm you (if so uh-oh to me too!)

Just my thoughts. :)

Haley, I'll have to check out the sodium on that. At least its not caffinated. Good idea.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

Thanks Sunshine. Sometimes I use a diet coke to replace the need to eat a calorie-snack that I can't "afford." The carbonation makes me feel full. I don't drink it on the weekends unless I'm eating out. I use seltzer water and splenda-sweetened italian syrup drinks if I want something carbonated when I'm at home.

Im the same, when im craving a sweet treat i grab a diet code red! The taste of it kills my sweet tooth :] and for zero calories I cant resist. Sounds like you are really trying to cut down so I say you are doing wonderful! It is a process, you cannot be expected to cut everything out in my own opinion
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options

Im the same, when im craving a sweet treat i grab a diet code red! The taste of it kills my sweet tooth :] and for zero calories I cant resist. Sounds like you are really trying to cut down so I say you are doing wonderful! It is a process, you cannot be expected to cut everything out in my own opinion

Agree it is a process! :)
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The phosphates in Coca cola products leach calcium from your system. They're awful. I've also heard (but can't confirm) that carbonation is difficult for your body to digest.

It's not helping with the bloating. It's not real food. There's not really anything in soda that your body recognizes as real food. It's 12 oz. of artificial stuff which really doesn't do anything for you.

If you've cut out so much already, it's because the things you eliminated weren't healthy for you. They don't do anything for your body to make you feel better or healthy. Cut this out too. Get rid of the addiction to DC.

Your body will thank you, I promise.

This is absolutely true. That said, it's definitely not easy to break the addiction! There are other beverages that might be able to meet your need for something fizzy and sweet - I've been making water kefir with dried fruit, and it gives you that soft drink-type taste without the artificial sweeteners and phosphates. You can also choose to make it with an unrefined sweetener (rapadura, coconut sugar, honey, etc.), and you can vary the flavor according to what you want and what's in season. It also has the benefit of being a naturally fermented food, which is great for your gut and all-around health. Try doing a Google search about it; you're bound to find some great information and opportunity to purchase a starter culture (if you don't know someone who has some to share with you)!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options

\

ZERO Calories Does Not Mean Zero Problems!!!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options

\

Exactly, dont have something just because its zero calories, think about what you are putting in your body as well!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

But it should mean zero fat gain due to calories.
  • skynut
    skynut Posts: 16
    Options
    i drink up to 2 litres a day, got a serious problem
  • schneekle
    Options
    i drink up to 2 litres a day, got a serious problem

Ditto!