49 and don’t know what the heck I’m doing.

Options
New to this and I hope this works! I never in my life thought I’d find myself on a fitness board. I’ve always been the type of person to lose weight at just the thought of it and now that I’m getting older it seems like I just let myself go after a break up. I think, I’m more mad at myself for letting that happen and now I’m 50lbs heavier... 😒 But, I love that there are folks on here that have successfully lost weight and kept it off. I hope this works for me as well.

Replies

• albertodiaz83
    albertodiaz83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Welcome !! Hope you reach your goal(s) 😊
  • andykaag
    andykaag Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello, sure you will find the strength. Here surrounded by a community seeking for a better shape and health. And in yourself. Use your anger to achieve your goal and more. Welcome
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,078 Member
    Options
    It's science so it does work as long as you log accurately (more on this in the Most Helpful Posts thread pinned at the top of Getting Started and General Diet boards) and honestly you will lose the weight.

The key is to make it sustainable, avoid making drastic changes that you can't see yourself doing beyond losing the weight, because although weight loss can be hard, maintenance is the really tough part.

I would really recommend getting a food scale and logging what you normally eat for 2-3 days minimum, so you can get a good idea of what it is you are truly eating and then you can make small changes to get closer to your calorie goal for loss.

Also don't assume faster is better, we all want to lose weight like now, but that isn't necessarily sustainable either so don't just automatically go for 2lbs per week with Sedentary activity level chosen. Choose an activity level that best represents what you do in your day-to-day work/home/school life and then choose a rate of loss that gives you a calorie intake you can live with, ensuring you also eat back some of your exercise calories too.

Better to lose 50lbs in a year than 10lbs in 1 month and then binge eat for a week and regain it and go through that process over and over.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    THIS^^^^ Couldn't have said it better.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    Welcome :smile: Couldn't agree with @tinkerbellang83 more.

Check out this post when you get a chance and best of luck!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,450 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the March 2019 UAC group

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/131420-ultimate-accountability-challenge-march-2019

It is a great place to develop self-awareness / accountably habits and shift yourself towards a new sustainable lifestyle. Works no matter what your food plan, exercise strategy, or where you are on your journey (everyone from just starting to nearing goal weight to maintaining for years now)

We have a raft of brand new members also starting this month, a crew that are only on their second or third month with us, and more than enough olde-timers like me who can guide you through your transition period.

Hope to see you there.