Should Hula hoop-ing be classed as exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    @heybales I'm not sure if you were directing your answer to me or to the OP. I understand how MFP works - I've been here for 6 years. The OP's question was whether hula hooping for thirty minutes would be considered loggable exercise and, yes, it definitely can be. Anything that is movement beyond what one would normally do can be counted as exercise even if the calories earned is low. I personally count all exercise I get. It works for me and I am seeing the results I want.

I am one of the few who truly fits the desk job/sedentary description. The past two days, I worked 32 hours and accumulated less than 6,000 steps for those two days. If I move, I log. After all, 150 calories earned is four ounces more chicken breast I can have with dinner.

It was to OP, just building on your comment of what the calorie burn would be since you had a good figure and discussion seemed to move to how much to count and how.
  • mysticmagi
    mysticmagi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Who hula hoops for 30 min nonstop??

I do sometimes
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

I really wish I could hula hoop, never been able to no matter how much I've tried. I have problems with my lumbar region and I bet it would be good for loosening that up and trimming the waist. Also I think it's very sexy and sensual, like salsa dancing 💃 I can do fire chains though, does that count? 🔥

acx83uynbvsc.jpg

I want some hula hoops now
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    Options
    It’s definitely a fantastic cardio exercise. I lost all my weight with this as my favourite workout.
  • Howard_M_Burgerz
    Howard_M_Burgerz Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    If you count every single calorie you eat...then log every single calorie you burn. Maybe +/- 7 cals per minute on average 151 beats per minute (depending on your fitness level and intensity)... respectable
  • amy_ross86
    amy_ross86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    🙋‍♀️ I hula hoop for up to an hour. I change direction every 5 minutes, do squats and walk around. I'd like learn how to do more. It's a 2lb hoop and I just hoop while my husband and I watch a show after the kids go to bed.