Can someone explain

Options
This isn't making sense. I start with a caloric need of 1820 for the day. I have my fitbit linked to my fitnesspal. It's subtracting my activity from my caloric need instead of adding. So what it's saying to me is the more I exercise the less I am to eat?

Replies

• smithsusan961
    smithsusan961 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    the more you exercise the more you eat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP is really buggy at the moment
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I know with mine, if I don't hit a certain level of steps its subtracting because when I entered my information I entered that I was moderately active. So that was already factored into the amount that I can consume for the day. If I don't hit that amount, as you are in the attached photo with only 300ish steps, its subtracts. Once I hit the level of activity I entered, it switches and starts giving me more calories back.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you were less active than MFP assumes your are you can have negative calorie adjustments.... if you set yourself as light active but moved less than what light active assumes, it will remove calories from your goal, just as if you were more active then the base assumes, it will add calories to your day
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yes this is why I am set to lightly active, most of the time I am much more active than that but on days where I'm not I really hate having calories taken away! So I'd rather start off with less calories and earn more as I am more active, than have some taken away!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Your activity should be based on your daily job. Most of us are sedentary (desk job). Few of us are active (construction worker, mail carrier who walks his/her route).

I'm in the gym 5 days a week and walk when the weather permits (darn Ohio weather), but I work a desk job, so I am considered sedentary.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Actually, most with activity trackers even before being inspired to move more - discover if you have household duties and aren't a bump on a log when you get home until you sleep and on weekends, even a desk job is NOT sedentary.
    You start moving from sedentary into Lightly Active at about 4K steps - usually easy to hit even with desk job if you have kids, pets, cook, clean, ect.

OP - you need to look at the entry in the Exercise Diary for more info to know.
    Tap on it to see details of last sync, what Fitbit sent at that time, and gives clue as to why the adjustment.

For instance, if you manually added a workout to MFP (no need for that unless lifting), and it didn't sync over to Fitbit yet or back again to MFP for a new daily burn, then MFP would be doing math with some old figures and give that negative effect.
    With the Fitbit sync issues sometimes - that's not surprising (another reason not to log workouts on MFP).