Starting out on exercise bike

Options
passenger79
passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
edited February 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I ve been diagnosed with Thorasic outlet syndrome few months ago and I am going through a flare up right now and I can't do any running or swimming or anything really that engages my upper back.

Since I am desperate for some exercise I got myself desk cycle,it has decent resistance and thought it could be helpful.

I had exercise bike but I gave it to elderly neighbour thay couldn't afford a gym so I haven't cycled for months.

I started cycling yesterday and maybe I got bit carried away but spent 40 min on it (only resistance level 1 out of 8 ) and I started getting pain in my left knee and popping.

Haven't done any today and my legs are throbbing . Is this normal for starting new exercise ?

I walk up to 14.000 steps daily and use to run few times a week so I thought I was in reasonable shape. Should I pace myself and slowly increase duration ?

Sorry about essay lol and please be kind. Thank you.

Replies

• pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    It may be your alignment on the bike causing the knee issue. Make sure you don't hyper extend your leg on the down stroke. On the down stroke your leg should be nearly straight with a flat or flexed foot. If you are pointing or reaching when pedaling you may need to adjust the seat.

Another possibility is that you aren't using enough resistance on the bike causing your legs to kind of spin free and a little out of control. If you are bouncing in the saddle or on the seat, you need to add resistance.

As far as the throbbing, throbbing usually means a pull or a strain. Ice, ibuprofen and rest. This could also be attributed to poor fit on the bike or uncontrolled movement from lack of resistance.

Once the pain subsides, make adjustments to you fit and start out with maybe 20 minutes. See how you feel the next day. If your good, increase it a little more.

Hope this helps.
  • passenger79
    Options
    nlmackey98 wrote: »
    It may be your alignment on the bike causing the knee issue. Make sure you don't hyper extend your leg on the down stroke. On the down stroke your leg should be nearly straight with a flat or flexed foot. If you are pointing or reaching when pedaling you may need to adjust the seat.

Another possibility is that you aren't using enough resistance on the bike causing your legs to kind of spin free and a little out of control. If you are bouncing in the saddle or on the seat, you need to add resistance.

As far as the throbbing, throbbing usually means a pull or a strain. Ice, ibuprofen and rest. This could also be attributed to poor fit on the bike or uncontrolled movement from lack of resistance.

Once the pain subsides, make adjustments to you fit and start out with maybe 20 minutes. See how you feel the next day. If your good, increase it a little more.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, throbbing pain is not localized they are just throbbing everywhere.
    I was sitting in a chair typing on laptop maybe next time Ill try to positon myself differently.

Probably good idea to start slower ,I just miss working out as I used too so have probably overdone it.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    If you were in a regular chair, the pressure on the back of your thighs could cause the throbbing.
  • passenger79
    Options
    If you were in a regular chair, the pressure on the back of your thighs could cause the throbbing.

That's how I am suppose to use it though I wanted to buy recumbent bike and this was closest to it that I could get its bigger then similar products and with good resistance but it's really marketed as something to use at work ,under the desk.

I will try just moving it out my desk is pretty low so perhaps I was overstretching.

Im not too worried about throbbing pain, its just pain in my knee that I felt and around it I never had it when I started running and that was completely new exercise to me so that just worried mw about it.

I iced it tonight and took some painkillers hopefully pain will subside soon

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds like your seat is either too high or too low. I went through a bunch of knee issues before I figured out that I had the seat of my bike too low.

Not sure about the throbbing though. Take it easy a few days and see what happens.
  • passenger79
    edited March 2019
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Yeah, it sounds like your seat is either too high or too low. I went through a bunch of knee issues before I figured out that I had the seat of my bike too low.

Not sure about the throbbing though. Take it easy a few days and see what happens.

Not sure what to do about that as I just used regular chair and it's meant to be used like that.

I don't have a bike seat it's small under desk bike to be used while sitting at the table on standard chair.
    I could of possibly overstretched my legs under the table so will try it next time just on the floor and try to get my chair at right distance.

I never had a knee pain so instantly started worrying I got an injury but could be just bad position and overuse for the first time.

Trial and error I guess.I am taking this weekend off ,I have been doing loads of walking lately ,then try bike Monday again.

Thanks for the reply
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, make the adjustments then ramp up gradually over a few weeks to get your body used to the new movement patterns.
  • passenger79
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Yes, make the adjustments then ramp up gradually over a few weeks to get your body used to the new movement patterns.

Thank you I will.

I moved to the floor today and thought to try it just for 5 min to check really slow ,on 1 and left knee popping again😕

Ill rest it over the weekend really hope it stops.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Hope this helps.

You can work at the same intensity level by pushing hard, or by pushing lightly but spinning faster. Spinning is easier on your knees because the peak forces are smaller.