Struggles with binges

Options
Does anyone else get stressed and binge?

I've just tracked over 6000 calories of binge today feel incredibly sick and guilty!

It makes me wonder why you do it? Feeling disgusted 😂

Replies

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    What are your current goals? Are you trying to lose weight? What's your calorie deficit?
  • deniseclaborn
    deniseclaborn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ihave been trying to figure out why also. Counseling is helping reduce the frequency and amount of binging. This app helps. I-can be honest to my self. Don‘t feel sick and guilty. Just try again.

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    I literally just watched this last night. There's a bit of rah-rah self-promotion stuff near the beginning (but hey, that's how these guys make a living), but IMO overall there's some really good information and strategies here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPDW2SRj2as
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Is it possible your deficit is set too aggressively? If you are feeling deprived you are definitely more likely to binge. If it’s emotional eating it takes time to learn new habits. In either case you have taken a powerful step by tracking the binge.

I highly recommend the Half Size Me podcast. She has a very sensible approach to weight loss overall and also has addressed binge prevention strategies in several of her episodes.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    do some reading on how to change habits. learn your triggers and avoid them or force a better response to those you can't avoid. you can reprogram your habits once you figure them out.
  • jrose6197
    jrose6197 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For me personally, most of my food issues are emotionally motivated and I have found that journaling has really helped me deal with the motivation behind binges. It’s usually when I want to subconsciously punish myself. Thus bringing on the feelings of guilt. Ironically the urge to binge is usually hardest to resist when I’m doing really well with my weight loss efforts too.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Is it possible your deficit is set too aggressively? If you are feeling deprived you are definitely more likely to binge. If it’s emotional eating it takes time to learn new habits. In either case you have taken a powerful step by tracking the binge.

I highly recommend the Half Size Me podcast. She has a very sensible approach to weight loss overall and also has addressed binge prevention strategies in several of her episodes.

this. often we set out with a very restrictive goal when dieting, we eat too little and cut off all the foods we life. and for many this can lead to eating too much (and the 1 day over eating can negate all the weight loss we did the previous 5-7 days).

Setting a reasonable goals and keeping foods you ENJOY in your daily diet can go a long way into helping reduce binging.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have binge days, usually saturday. I eat cleasn all week up until 5pm saturday, then anything goes. This week it was Sunday, because.....there was cake. I eat cake ....hard core. Can I control it, absolutely, but, I choose not to. When I wake up monday, back to the grind. If you gotta binge, plan it. some people call it, high calorie day.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    There’s not a lot of info in your post about your binge. And people use the term to reference anything ranging from an episode of higher calorie intake by choice, to the kinds of binges I had before BED treatment that were uncontrollable, painful, hidden, etc. to anything in between.

The kinds of things that help one kind of binge may not be helpful at all for another. I know you probably don’t want to talk anymore about it, but any more info could help.
  • Kayley2804
    Kayley2804 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There’s not a lot of info in your post about your binge. And people use the term to reference anything ranging from an episode of higher calorie intake by choice, to the kinds of binges I had before BED treatment that were uncontrollable, painful, hidden, etc. to anything in between.

The kinds of things that help one kind of binge may not be helpful at all for another. I know you probably don’t want to talk anymore about it, but any more info could help.

Its more the uncontrollable. I've not been dieting really, just eating well but probs maintenance calories.

The binges sometimes just come and I couldn't stop. To the point I felt sick and knew I didn't want to eat it but still did.

I guess figuring out what mood starts this will help.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Kayley2804 wrote: »

Its more the uncontrollable. I've not been dieting really, just eating well but probs maintenance calories.

The binges sometimes just come and I couldn't stop. To the point I felt sick and knew I didn't want to eat it but still did.

I guess figuring out what mood starts this will help.

It sounds kind of like how I was feeling about it. Kind of compulsive, not really controllable. For me, I think I was trying to fill some kind of void that I hadn't identified. I think I've identified some of it now, one of which was that weight loss didn't solve any of my problems, and in fact may have made some of them worse.

It can be different for everyone, though, but I think with some of us, the binge eating has a basis in mental health rather than physical health or eating habits. It sounds like that's where you're aiming too.

I ended up having to stop focusing on weight loss and just figure out how to eat by choice again rather than compulsively, and then with therapy, I was able to start weight loss again.